SIXTEEN

chapter sixteen | lie

Hoseok has no idea what's going on. He tuned out of his friend's conversation a long time ago and honestly, he wants nothing more than a decent nap or to cry, probably both. So he doesn't notice anyone trying to get his attention until there's a hand resting on his shoulder. He jumps first and then frowns.

"Sorry, Sorry!" Jimin smiles, not at all sorry, "I was gonna ask we're all gonna go get some snacks before class, you coming?"

Hoseok ponders or at least pretends to. He's made his mind the moment the words left his mouth but he should seem too adamant, right? He pauses before he shakes his head.

"Oh, okay.."

"Hoseok! You're not coming? Do you at least want something?" Youngjae throws his arms around a confused Jimin.

Another shake and he throws in a smile for good measure.

"Alright, we're leaving!"

"Wait! Wait are you okay?"

Hoseok nods. A sweet lie.

Still, Jimin leaves at Youngjae's sides.

Slowly their words get more and more incoherent and the gap between them is widening. Once he's sure they won't come back, he smiles slides off his face. It's a weird feeling to breathe in the quiet air. It's taking in the ambiance of the nonstop rush of students and yells that are way too out of pocket for this time of day. He hears voices, so many voices but he also hears the direct quiet; the one of nobody talking to him. The feeling- it's as calming as it is lonely and Hoseok breathes it in again before turning away. There's nothing wrong with being lonely. The curly-haired throws up his hood (it's nowhere close to being his; there's a hollow ache when he realizes) and walks away from the clamor.

Hoseok walks with no destination. All he knows is that there's time to kill and he will use it somewhere, somehow.

He finds a place. Not a very comfortable one. It's behind a classroom and in between a classroom. It's a tight fit, but it will do.

He slots himself between the fence and the wall; sinks until his knees and close to his face. Suddenly, he feels the weight of the past days crashing down. The exhilaration of running about with his crush; of having his first kiss. It's all very warm. Next, the heaviness of a frown; the feel of Seokjin's arms wrapped around his crying body. Another intake of breath; an exhale leaves his lips, as well as tears, leave his eyes.

He sniffles. Hoseok refuses to cry. A weak whimper leaves his lips as he tries to wipe away his incoming tears. It feels like the tears grow when he realizes they're not leaving anytime soon.

Soon, his sadness turns into anger. He squeezes his hands together so tightly it hurts. Hoseok attempts to kick but it's futile and why that angers him, even more, is a mystery.

Hoseok feels stupid again. What exactly crying for? A boy that didn't even want him? A smoker? A one-sided crush? (A boy that made him feel confident? A boy that made his heart race by just being next to him? A boy that had the coldest hands but the softest touch?)

He just wants to stop crying.

He closes his eyes and lets his arms lose their strength, he just really wants to stop crying.

-

Yoongi rolls his eyes.

Taehyung looks absolutely ridiculous wearing sunglasses inside.

"Jungkook told me Hoseok looked sad today, do you know what that's about?" He asks, no it doesn't seem like a question, it's a threat. Or maybe Yoongi's overreacting again.

Yoongi looks down at his cigarette and puts it in his mouth before replying, "No."

The look Taehyung gives him makes his stomach tighten. He doesn't believe him. Yoongi watches Taehyung take off his sunglasses and he could almost spill his guts. Sometimes, he forgets people find the latter intimidating for a reason. He wonders if he took off his glasses to seem more scary.

Did he know?

Then, Taehung brightens; squirming in his seat like a damn worm. He puts his hands up and waves.

Yoongi breathes out his worries in smoke. Everything is fine.

He looks to sees who Taehyung is waving at.

Everything is not fine.

Namjoon and Kihyun are seen a ways away in what looks like a deep conversation. Yoongi notices Namjoon's got his glasses- and is that a nose piercing?

Jaebeom elbows his side with a lazy smile and whispers, "You're screwed if they know."

"Shut up."

Jaebeom- That dick laughs.

They don't know. How could they? Right?

"Woah, Joon hyung it looks so pretty!" Taehyung comments on Namjoon's new jewelry. He receives praise all around the little group.

Yoongi tries on focusing on finishing his cigarette before the bell. Yet, his mind keeps wandering on to what Taehyung said. Sad? Hoseok looked sad? Because of him?

"Hey, Yoongi?"

He hums.

"I heard you were at the shop, did you get something?" Namjoon smiles.

Now, Yoongi doesn't know if this is a trick question. He doesn't remember seeing Namjoon. He could've sworn both he and Hoseok were the only ones there. Even so, it's no use to lie about something like this. They'd see it sooner or later.

"Yeah," he starts shaking off one of his sleeves, his new wrapped tattoo gleaming in the sun, he ignores the fawning over it. "Why didn't you say hi?"

Namjoon smirks, "Didn't want to interrupt your date with Hoseok."

Damn it. That was definitely a trap. But how did he know? Did he see him there?

"How was it?" It's Kihyun this time.

Yoongi drops his cigarette for something else. He needs something else. "It was fine."

"Now, do you wanna tell me why you lied?"

Yoongi gulps, yeah, he's going to need something else for this conversation.

-

sorry for the rush of notifs i wanted to fix how this story looked

fair warning if i find anything wrong with it more notifs will swarm you

i may have noticed how i haven't updated in a while so i thought i might throw you a bone haha