59

Annabeth scoffed knowing her brother to be right. "Excuse us for a moment," Illumi said aloud, taking his sister's hand and leading her upstairs.
    "What the hell just happened down there?" Annabeth yelped.
    "There's something you don't know about Elliot," Illumi started. Annabeth sighed irritably.
    "Are we really doing this again?" Annabeth huffed.
    "Elliot and his brother are mercenaries," Illumi spat out. Annabeth stopped. Her shoulders dropped.
    "I can't say hearing Stephen is a mercenary is surprising," Annabeth started, "But Elliot... Elliot isn't like that. He's protective of me... He's a happy go lucky guy... He's not like that..." Annabeth tried to force herself to believe her brother was lying but with her luck and knowing her brother, she knew Illumi wouldn't lie to her.
    "Why else would dad react like that?" Illumi added on. Annabeth plopped on her bed.
    "Just my luck," Annabeth muttered. Her nose started to run and tears pricked her eyes. However, she refused to let so much as a single tear leak out. Illumi watched as his sister swallowed her emotions. Annabeth let out a deep sigh and stood up. She walked to her desk and pulled out a tissue. She blew her nose like a trumpet. "I'm not going to cry. I'm tired of crying," Annabeth said aloud. She turned to face Illumi. "I'll talk to you about this later. Just help me get through the rest of the night. I don't think I can handle any more dramatics," Annabeth chuckled almost sadly. Illumi placed a gentle hand on his sister's head.
    "Sure," Illumi said. The two walked back downstairs. No one dared question the recent turn of events. Annabeth sat back in her chair and quietly finished her dinner. Instead, everyone sat in an awkward silence. Hisoka glanced over at Annabeth, noting her sadden eyes. He turned back to his meal, not wanting to break the silence.
    "Well," Kikiyo chuckled nervously, trying to lift things back up, "I hope the dinner was to everyone's liking. Excuse me while my husband and I prepare dessert," Silva took a sip of his wine as he sensed something like an angry aura aimed at him from his wife.
    "Please excuse us," Silva said, standing up and following his wife into the kitchen. Killua leaned over to Illumi gripping his forearm.
    "I need to talk to you," Killua said in a horrendously fake uptone.
    "Kil, we have guests. Don't be rude-"
    "Now!" Killed yelled before returning to his phony smile. Illumi stood up, receiving an angry glare from his sister. Killua's grip tightened on Illumi's arm. Illumi mouthed the word 'sorry' as he followed behind Killua.
    "F***** Illumi," Annabeth thought to herself as she sat with Kalluto on her lap as Hisoka began to stare at her. Hisoka was about to say something, hoping to make use of the moment.
    "Don't say anything," Annabeth growled, surprising him. Annabeth continued to stare and eat off her plate. Annabeth could hear her mother screaming at her father for ruining the night. A chuckle escaped Hisoka's mouth.
    "Well, it's been entertaining but I think I'll take my leave," Hisoka said. Hearing her mother scolding her father about manners, Annabeth stood up and showed Hisoka the door. Hisoka stopped and turned to Annabeth. "I'm sorry it turned out like this. It wasn't my intention. Have a good night, Annie," Hisoka said as he exited the house. Annabeth watched him leave. A part of her felt guilty for snapping at him like that. She shut the door before walking back to her seat, trying to sort out everything in her mind.