THREE

Now that I was walking up to the gate of 228 Amber Lane, I felt queasy. Having just one friend all your life didn't really help your social life. But it was too late to back out. The wrought iron gates were topped off with icing sugar snow, and the path leading up to the door was covered with a blanket of white. Fairly lights hung in the trees and twinkled gold and green and red and blue.

It was already starting to look like a wonderland.

The door opened just as I was about to knock, and a smart-looking butler welcomed me in, taking my raggedy old coat. Underneath, I was wearing a red dress with white leggings. I had on ankle boots and stripy candy cane socks. My hair was tied up in two ponytails, and my lips were cherry red.

I could hear the Christmas carols further in the dark wood house. The butler lead me down a hall and into a large, decorated room. Food tables were set up by the TV and couches, and a lavish, huge and bright tree was decorated in the back corner. I placed my present by the rest underneath it. I could see many people were in plain clothes - mainly black and grey (typical for fourteen-year-olds these days). Only a bunch were wearing themed costumes. I tugged at my hair and looked around. There were about thirty people - I guessed that not many wanted to go to a Christmas party two weeks before the actual day.

I stood awkwardly on the side-lines, looking if there was any sign of Jake or Skye. Eventually, I saw them, being escorted by the butler. They were wearing plain jumpers, and they were holding hands. Usually, Jake would be seen head to toe in green and red around Christmas. I went over to the food table, trying to avoid them as much as possible.

The trestle tables were covered with white table cloths, and piled high with all Christmas treats imaginable. I got a mix of candy cane mint and the sweet smell of cranberry sauce.

The tables were lined with golden fairy lights, and tiny ballerina decorations hung from the ceiling above the food.

It was magical.

The music suddenly died down, almost silent. I could see Anabelle walk up to the front, wearing a white tutu and tinsel in her plaited hair.

'Excuse me. Could I have your attention?' She called over the talking, making the room silent almost immediately. 'First of all, I'd like to thank you for coming. It is a pleasure to see you here. I'd like to prepare you for a magical night. I hope you all have fun tonight. To make a start, we're going to play truth or dare!' She ordered everyone into an awkward circle and began. 'Bella, truth or dare?' Anabelle pointed to a bored-looking girl a few people down from me. I recognised her from assembly. I guessed she was from year 12.

'Dare.' She answered, a sudden interest in her voice.

'I dare you...... to.... kiss the boy you like the most.'

Bella went as red as my lipstick. 'Nuh uh. No way.' She protested. Everyone cheered, and Anabelle double dared her. Eventually Bella slowly got up and went over to Luke, a boy with shaggy hair and dull grey eyes. Bella kissed him on the cheek and quickly retreated to her place.

The game went on for half an hour or so. Some of the dares people thought of were hilarious. Like when Maria from year 9 had to text a random number and say she loves whoever she texted, and it turned out to be her brother on his new phone. I was in hysterics when Skye had to prance around the circle, dancing and singing. Truth or Dare definitely lifted my mood. Where ever I looked, everyone was smiling, pink-cheeked and some covered in cream or custard. It almost took the pain of heartbreak away.