✭VII✭

✦✦✦ You're not a Mandalorian ✦✦✦

"So, you can't take it off?" Kit asks as she sits cross legged behind the pilot's seat.

Sighing as he pilots them through the galaxies he nods, "No, I can't take it off."

"Then, you're not a Mandalorian."

He turns to look at her over his shoulder, shaking his head, "You're not," She continues, "I've seen them, they can take their helmets off."

"I think I know more of the Mandalorian than you."

"I'm pretty sure I know a lot myself, considering I was born there."

"What?" He turns towards her, his full attention now on her.

She looks out at the stairs, playing with the crystal around her neck, "Yeah, a Mandalorian by the name of Bo Katan took me away when it got taken over by Darth Maul, I was only a baby, not even one, I don't remember much, but what I do know is that she took off her helmet. She always visited, until the woman I lived with died, haven't seen her since."

"How long has it been?"

"Twenty years."

"That's a long time."

She shrugs looking away from the stars, "It goes by fast when you've got the right company."

The Child coos as he attempts to climb up, she smiles lifting him up and setting him down beside her, "There you go, little guy."

He laughs as he plays with the necklace she wears lifting it so it catches the light of the stars

Mando sighs as he looks down at the weapon in his hands, turning his chair he holds the silver weapon out towards her, "How did you-"

"I took it when you were knocked out," She raises an unamused brow which he ignores, "I don't know what it is, but I hope you can use it."

"Trust me," She grins when she feels the familiar feeling wash over her, "You've never seen anything like it."

Turning back to the controls her searches for places they can go, "Let's see... Sorgan. Looks like there is no star port, no industrial centres, no population density. A real backwater slug hole. Which means it's perfect for us. Ready to lay low and stretch your legs for a couple of months, you little womp rat? Nobody's gonna find us here."

~~~~~

"Now listen, I'm gonna go out there and I'm gonna look around. It shouldn't take too long."

He gets up leaving the pair to watch as he leaves, "Now...don't touch anything! I'll find us some lodging, then I'll come back for you. You stay right here. You stay. Don't move. You understand? Great."

Mando sighs when he looks either side of him to see Kit and the Child, "Oh, what the hell... Come on."

They follow after him through the village towards a tavern, looking around he guides them to a seat in the back. "Welcome travellers. Can I interest you in anything?"

"Bone broth, for the little one." Mando says nodding

"Oh, well, you're in luck," The woman says smiling kindly at them, "I just took down a grinjer, so there's plenty. Can I interest you in a porringer of broth as well?"

"Just the one."

She sighs, nodding her head, "Very well-"

Mando stops her before she can leave, "That one over there, when did she arrive?"

"Uh...I've seen her here for the last week or so."

Kit follows his gaze to a woman sat in the corner, the woman tilts her head when she sees the girl and raises a brow, "What's her business here?"

"Business? Oh well...there's not much business in Sorgan so I can't say..." Mando tosses her some coins as she trials off, "She doesn't strike me as a log runner...well... thank you, sir. I will get that broth to you as soon as possible, and I will throw in a flagon of spotchka, just for good measure. I'll be right back with that."

"Keep an eye on the kid."

"Tin-Man, wait-" She sighs watching as he leaves through the door.

She turns to look at the Child who is struggling to get off his chair, helping him down she hands him the bowl, "Shall we follow him?"

As if answering her the Child takes off, her following after him, they find Mando fighting the woman, both of them holding blasters to the others head. The Child takes a long slurp from his bowl making them look over.

Kit casually leans against the side of the tavern, a brow raised as she tilts her head to watch them, "You want some soup?" She asks looking over at the woman.

"Commander?"

Kit's eyes widen and she shakes her head, "Nope, not me, no..."

"Commander Solo," She says again holding out her hand, "I fought under you, at the Battle of Hoth, you were hell of a pilot."

"That was many years ago..."

"Dune, Cara Dune." The pair shake hands and Mando stares between them.

"Saw most of my action mopping up after Endor," The woman, Cara Dune, says, they now sit in the tavern at a table, "Mostly ex-Imperial warlords. They wanted it fast and quiet. They'd send us in on the drop ships. No support, just us. Then when the Imps were gone, the politics started. We were peacekeepers, protecting delegates, suppressing riots. Not what I signed up for."

"How'd you end up here?"

"Let's just call it an early retirement," She takes a sip from the broth looking between them, "Look, I knew you were Guild. I figured you had a fob on me. That's why I came at you so hard. Especially since you had Commander with you, they always did say you'd get yourself caught one day."

"I've gotten myself caught many times, what they don't tell you is that I always get myself out, and I'm not a Commander anymore, haven't been for a long time."

"Well, this has been a real treat," She gets up looking down at them both, "But unless you wanna go another round, one of us is gonna have to move on, and I was here first."

Mando sighs looking over at her, "You didn't tell me you were a Commander."

She shrugs, "You didn't ask."