Cold

The cold night wrapped its withered arms around me. The wind reached one tentacle hand down my throat making my chest ache. I bowed my head into the wind.  Today had not gone as I had hoped. Not only had I failed, at first, to get the secretary to listen to me, I had to wait three hours before her boss got out of his meeting to talk to me. At least he was a somewhat reasonable man.
When I was called in to speak with the principle, he asked about my lack of adult supervision, I had to explain that my parents were often out of the country. Telling them I was staying with my cousin, he then asked where she was. Stiffening the sigh I had to explain that he was asleep. He was an author that had a deadline. He had worked long into the night to finish he latest novel.
Once all of that was done, he accepted I could handle things on my own. He gave me all the usual rules and issues that would occur if I broke any speech. Next I was given my schedule,, locker information and all my text books.. Now I was ready to begin a new school the next day.
The weight of the back pack against my shoulder gave me some comfort. At least they had given me everything. Of course I needed to present my cousin to the principle by the end of the week. How I was going to convince Shigure to accompany me to school, I wasn’t so sure.
Out here the Soma name held no weight. Oh they knew of my family, they just  weren’t terrified of losing their business, funding or whatever else the clan threw money at others for. Out here, I could breath. Well not right now. The wind still tugged at my lungs. I felt like I was going to suffocate. It was only another block. My knee twisted slightly as I stepped up on the curb.
With quick reflexes I was able to keep myself from falling by grabbing the sign post. Or so I thought. When the sign post cried out, I was shocked. I let go stumbling backward. A hand caught my wrist.
“Oh, dear, what ever would have happened if you fell?” I looked up into electrifying eyes.
“Hana, stop that.”  Hands touched my shoulder, keeping me on my feet.
“Are you alright?”  Large brown eyes looked at me.
“Tohru, just let him go!” A tall blond girl appeared behind the brown eyed one.
“Well he does appear to have regained his balance. And is no longer grabbing young girls.” The first one spoke.
“I am terribly sorry about that. I didn’t even see you. I thought I was grabbing the light pole.” I gestured to the offending pole.
“Oh, that’s ok, you were falling!” the one with the kind eyes said.
“I’m sorry, but are you three students at Kaibara Municipal High School?” I asked. Those soft brown eyes crinkled.
“Why yes we are.” She stated.  “I am Tohru Honda, these are my friends Uo, and Hana.” The one with the doe eyes explained. “Do you go there?” she asked politely.
“I will be starting tomorrow.” I told them. “My name is Yuki Soma.” I waited for the all to familiar gasp of recognition. Followed by the quick departure as they realized what would happen if they crossed me. I, however, was not prepared for them to giggle at me.
“Another Soma, huh?” Blond girl said. Uo was her name.
“Um yes?” I was surprised who could they know.
“Don’t suppose your related to Kyo Soma?” She questioned. “That ole carrot top is going to have to explain where he was hiding you.” She added slyly.
“Oh, um, I don’t think we are related. At least I don’t know any Kyo.” I explained. “However the Soma name has many branches of decedents.” I explained. Just as another gust of wind came to seize my throat. I doubled over coughing as the cold dug into my chest.
“Oh, you’re sick. We should help him.” Tohru cried.
“No, its fine. My home is only another block.” I pointed to where I could see the red roof.
“No, you’re related to Shigure?” Uo asked awe etched in her eyes.
“He is my cousin.” I explained.
“He is a pervert!” She cried laughing. That much I knew, but why was she laughing about it?
“Come then, we will walk you home.” Tohru smiled sympathetically at me. Knowing another coughing fit could have me crawling home, I accepted her offer. They surrounded me. All talking at once about how they were going to introduce me to this Kyo person. I hope he was ready to have a rude day. No one would wish to be related to me.
At the front door, Uo didn’t even knock. She threw the door wide open. “Hey, you disgusting old man, you still alive!” she yelled out.
“Why has a banshee come to my home?” I heard the sorrowful voice of my cousin.
“We brought your kid home.” Uo continued to scream as she walked inside.
“Have you even eaten today?” Tohru asked upon seeing my cousin in front of his computer. He was unshaven, wearing a bathrobe.
“That depends, on what day it is?” he asked. “Oh, Yuki, you're home. How did it go?”
“It went fine, but you need to stop in and chat with the principle before the end of the....” I started coughing again, unable to finish. The weight of the bag pulling me down. I let it fall to the floor, a mere second before my knees hit the ground beside it.
“Oh, dear, has it gotten chilly out? You know you shouldn’t be out in weather like that.” Shigure sighed dramatically.
“I will make you some tea!” Tohru headed off to the kitchen as if she knew the place well.
“Let's get you off of the floor.” Uo took one arm while Hana grabbed my other. They were strong as they pulled me up. Depositing me in a recliner I looked at them. This was only my third day at Shigure's home so I was surprised by how comfortable these three appeared to be with the place.
“Uh, Shigure?” I asked.
“Oh I guess the cat is out of the bag!” he laughed waving a hand beside his head. “These ladies, well actually Tohru, is my cleaning lady. I pay her to come in twice a week to clean up. She prepares meals that I just need to zap and poof food to eat.” He laughed again.
“I’m going to bed.” I stated as I began to rise. Uo pushed me back into the chair.
“You are going to sit there and drink the tea Tohru is making for you. You will eat whatever she brings you as well. Otherwise you will deal with me.” I blinked. Who were these people. How dare they talk to a Soma like that!
“Yuki, don’t bother.” I glanced over at Shigure. He warned me with a look. I backed down.
“Of course. I forgot, I'm sorry.” I apologized. No sooner did I sit back, then Tohru was bringing in tea and a rice bowl with shrimp and sauce in it. She held it out to me on a tray, taking a second bowl off she cried. “Hot" before hurrying away to Shigure. He sat back to allow her to place it on the desk.
“What I don’t deserve tea?” he asked then got slapped upside the head by Uo. Hana set a cup down beside his bowl as he glared at the blond.
“OK, I get how you know Ms. Honda, but what of the others?” I asked as I sipped my tea. It was very good.
“Oh they trespass here all the time.” He looked at me slyly then winked when he noticed Uo wasn’t watching. Was he crazy? Allowing girls around!
“Well its getting late!” Tohru cried. “Make sure you eat all of that.” She chided Shigure. I chuckled.
“You too! I want to see you in school tomorrow!” she smiled. I smiled bowing my head.
“And you shall, Ms. Honda.” I stated. Once they left Shigure did eat his dinner, then promptly decided I didn’t exist any longer. He faked not listening to me when I yelled at him about the curse and how he could be so irresponsible. I finally gave up and went to bed. I didn’t need him making my throat hurt so that I couldn’t see them tomorrow.
When I first woke the next morning it took me a while to figure out what this feeling was. I couldn’t stop smiling. I never smile. I even rushed through my morning chores, hurrying to get the garbage out so I could dress for school. That’s when it hit me. I was excited. Happy even. I never felt this way living under the shadow of Soma house! How could a cursed soul like me be happy.
Her eyes swam in my mind. She had treated me with kindness. No one did that unless they were ordered too. Then they did it only out of fear. Fear of what my family would do to them! I wasn’t clear as to how Shigure ever managed to get to be allowed to live so far away from the main estate, but I was glad.
How long would it take for Akito to find me? Had Shigure already told him I was here? Had he accepted it? Allowed me to stay even? I doubt Shigure would go against the clan, but I had told him I had asked permission. Of course, that permission was never granted to me.
Instead I had gotten locked up in my cell of a room. A room Akito had been locking me in for years. Did he honestly think I just sat there waiting for him? I snorted. He would be a fool if he thought so. No, I had been planning. Every time he put me in there I worked on my escape route. That night I had finished it. I was able to escape.
I always left a bag of clothes and money hidden near the main gates. So when I was able to get out of my cell, I simply walked away. Who was going to stop one of the Prince's of Soma house? None knew what Akito did to me. If they did their love for him would change.
Yet he did rule the family with fear. Would he hurt Shigure for housing me? I had to show my cousin my curse mark to get him to believe who I was.  I mean we had never met before. The stories of Shigure were legendary. How he had once been friends with Akito, with Ayame,  with the good doctor, Hatori. Yet no one knew how he managed to escape his own imprisonment at Soma house.
I was walking to school while all of this was going on inside my head. To say I wasn’t paying close attention to where I was walking was an understatement. I was typically very good at avoiding disasters. Even so, two in the same amount of days wasn’t good. What would Akito do if he found out?
In my haze I didn’t see the group of teenagers stop in front of me. I walked directly into one of them. He was tall just a bit taller than me, with bright orange hair, and a face with a scowl on it. Before I could even apologize he spun on me. “Just where the hell are you going?” he screamed. I blinked.
“To school.” I stated calmly.
“Well you can’t get there through me!” he was very loud. “Maybe we should fight to see who can get to school today!” he smirked. I sighed.
“Don’t be an idiot. You would lose.” I stated.
“We'll see about that.” Now that I was aware of him, evading his movements were easy. Each punch he telegraphed with exaggerated shoulder movements. When he was done dancing around me, I punched him, once. He fell at my feet. Coldly I looked down at him.
“You're not very good, are you?” I stepped over him, my mind going back to thinking about what had made me so happy today. Those kind brown eyes were waiting to see me again.
“Who the hell are you?”
“Yuki, Yuki Soma, carrot top!” I heard him scream but two of the guys with him held him back. How very sad. I ruined her introduction. I would have to make it up to Ms. Honda.