Chapter 19: Christmas

A couple weeks went by and Christmas had arrived. All of the boys' soulmates, Haru and Nisha, and even Felix and Chun-Hei were invited to spend Christmas at the boys' dorm house. Everyone in the house helped prepare the table while Mary and Jin cooked the Christmas meal in the kitchen. It had been a long time since they had Christmas time off but because of Namjoon's recovery, they had Christmas off rather than a Christmas event to perform at. They were listening to their Christmas playlist while they prepared the food and decorations to keep the Christmas vibes going in the house.

Once everyone arrived, Mary and Jin placed the roasted chickens in the center of the table along with other traditional Korean food. They ate, shared some words of gratitude for one another, shared apple cider or wine, and then gathered around the living room to exchange gifts. The boys got their soulmates jewelry and their soulmates got them watches or ties. Namjoon had already given Mary her Christmas gift of paying off her rent and student loans. However, Mary hadn't gotten Namjoon anything yet. She pulled out a tiny bag from under the tree and handed it to him to open.

"I thought this would remind you of the hardships we had before being together," she said as she handed it to him.

Namjoon undid the ribbon on the bag and revealed a keychain that had the photo they took on the tour bus on their way to the second stop of their American tour, the same one that caused the scandal. Namjoon gave Mary a hug and thanked her for the present.

"I know it's not as big as what you did for me as a gift but it has all my love put into it," she told him with a smile.

"I will cherish it forever," he replied.

Everyone else finished up opening their presents and Jin offered to make a batch of hot chocolate so they could drink it while they continued chatting before calling it a night and everyone headed home or to bed. Namjoon asked Mary to step outside with him for a few minutes to discuss a situation. They went to the front porch and closed the door behind them. Their front porch was lit up with white Christmas lights and there was a wreath on the front door. Crickets were chirping and it was a little chilly. They heard the muffled Christmas music playing from inside of the house while they were outside.

"Mary, I know I technically already got you a Christmas gift but I couldn't help and get you something else."

"Namjoon please tell me you didn't. I feel so bad."

"I can't help it, you make me crazy so I have to shower you in gifts."

He reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a ring box and opened it to reveal a beautiful silver diamond ring.

Author's Note: In this universe of soulmates, marriage doesn't exist because it's not needed so there's a different ritual that happens instead of a wedding.

"Namjoon, is that a promise ring?"

"I feel like we've been together long enough for me to officially promise my soul to you."

"I feel bad...I didn't get you a promise ring."

"It's ok, you can get it for me once we have our promise ceremony."

Author's Note: A promise ceremony is where soulmates celebrate the day they committed to one another. Kind of like a marriage but it's more like a celebration of their relationship.

Mary hugged Namjoon and he wrapped his arms around her tenderly, never wanting to let go. They kissed under the mistletoe before Namjoon placed the promise ring on Mary's ring finger.

"Saranghae Namjoon."

"Nado saranghae Mary."

They held hands and looked out onto the grass as the muffled Christmas music played. They stayed in silence for about a minute before Mary broke the silence.

"I've been thinking about leaving or staying and I made my decision a few days ago but I didn't know when to tell you."

They faced each other to continue their conversation.

"Whatever you have decided, I support you."

"I have decided to go back to America and finish my degree. It'll also allow me to properly say goodbye to Gianna and my parents instead of having left so suddenly because of your injury. But, I'm still going to stay here until you're fully healed."

"You mean, until I can dance again?"

"Pretty much. I want to make sure you can go back to your normal life before I leave."

"Ok Mary. I appreciate you staying here for me to heal."

"Always, saranghae."

"Nado saranghae."

They went back inside to drink hot chocolate with the others before everyone went home and they headed off to sleep.

*Time skip ahead to a couple weeks after the New Year started*

Namjoon had been continuing to go to physical therapy for his leg to heal and was still only able to walk. He also continued supervising rehearsals and began learning the arm and hand movements to the dances without using his legs so he could at least catch up somewhat with the rest of the members. Namjoon had been going to physical therapy for a little over two months at that point and he was down to meeting his physical therapist twice a week as his recovery was improving.

Haru decided to surprise Namjoon by picking him up from the clinic where he was receiving his physical therapy to catch up with him since she had been so caught up with getting to know Nisha that she didn't have time to talk with Namjoon as much anymore. Haru arrived at the clinic, parked her car, and walked up to the receptionist.

"I'm here to pick up Kim Namjoon, which room is he in? His session should end in a few minutes."

"Let me pull up his file and let you know," the receptionist said.

She typed in Namjoon's name on the computer and pulled up his file.

"It says here that Mr. Kim is no longer in need of physical therapy and he was discharged at the start of this year. He is fully healed and can return to his regular activities."