Chapter 2 ~ And this is what you want me to believe love is?

Chapter 2

~Sharron’s Present~

                Kim had been released from the hospital and her family had taken her into their home. I sat in my office waiting for Kim and her family for our first office session. If I had learned anything from Gabby, I know not to let Kim loose her family. Feeling alone is the worst possible thing for a girl who was abused.

                The family came walking in, Kim behind them all with her head down and tears on her face. Mom and dad each holding a hand and half dragging her through the door.  Her face was pale with a gray tinge to her skin. She seemed sickly, malnourished, and heartbroken. One thing I had never experienced form Gabby was being heartbroken over her abuser. Jeremy had always been wrong in her mind, but Kim was going to be a challenge. She needed help coming to the conclusion that she didn’t deserve what she got, and that that isn’t love.

                “Hello Kim, how are you doing today?” I asked once they had her seated. She didn’t answer, she just looked down and avoided eye contact. I turned to her parents. “Can you describe her behavior since she’s been home? How is she different or the same from before the incident? Do you have any…”

                “… he wasn’t an incident” Kim whispered quietly under her breathe.

                I leaned in towards her and asked slowly and softly, “What was he to you?”

                “My heart, my soul, my love. Who are you to say he didn’t love me? Who is anyone to say he was wrong. I was happy, isn’t that what mattered?” she was standing now, then she turns and looks down towards her parents. “you are the ones who decided he was bad, you are the ones who got others involved.” She lunged at her mother, wrapping her hands around her neck attempting to strangle her. Her father jumped into action yanking her off her mother and throwing her into a chair across the room.

                “We only wanted to help you, and now you think we are the bad ones,” he screamed. He walked over to her mother, took her hand and began walking out. “Sharron, call us when our daughter is back, this girl is NOT her.”

                Kim just stared at me when they left, “and this is what you want me to believe love is?”