Maple Syrup

Prompt: By yesitsbinjin and qissy. I'm still not over how the two of you threw me under the bus but a promise is a promise. A binjin morning breakfast one-shot for the both of you before one of you scream at me again! This is kind of a continuation of the previous one-shot, A Christmas Prince!

***

Flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar...

Buttermilk!

"Where's the buttermilk? I'm sure I have it in there somewhere..." Ye Jin muttered as she buried herself deeper into the fridge.

"Aha!" Ye Jin exclaimed when she found her precious buttermilk.

Eggs, vanilla extract...

"That should be all..." Ye Jin listed the ingredients once more in her head.

With a satisfied grin on her face, Ye Jin dug out her mixing bowl and began making Hyun Bin's favourite buttermilk pancakes. While Ye Jin was usually more experimental with the flavours, her big baby was a stickler for original buttermilk pancakes. It's as if red velvet pancakes or cinnamon pancakes were an abomination to his pancake world. Regardless, Ye Jin loves her man, quirks and all, and she was happy to surprise him with buttermilk pancakes for Christmas morning.

With the sun just rising, the first signs of sun rays were filtering in through the window next to Ye Jin as she mixed the batter together, just enough times to spell P-A-N-C-A-K-E. Her eomma always reminded her not to overmix the batter. It's golden advice to the art of pancake making.

As she manoeuvred around the kitchen, Ye Jin's steps felt lighter than usual and her eye smiles only grew more prominent as she tilted her face to study the view outside. Even in winter, the sun was beautiful. With the rays hitting the soft snowy grounds, the whole view was akin to a winter wonderland with its brilliantly white snow glistening under the sunlight.

Ye Jin was happy.

Not just happy. She was positively glowing. Her happiness was like a cloudless spring day despite the wintery world outside their apartment. Remembering their magical night last night, Ye Jin only blushed hard as her smile grew wider to the point she was smiling from ear to ear. Overwhelmed by the happiness in her heart, Ye Jin let out a small girlish squeal, covering her mouth as she did a mini happy dance in the kitchen.

"Omo, pancakes!" Ye Jin stopped her dance when she realised she should start cooking the pancakes.

Soon, the sounds of sizzling butter could be heard as Ye Jin coated the pan thickly with butter. She was a sucker for butter, and she adds them in sinful amounts to anything. Toast, waffles, bagels...pancakes. You name it!

With her batter cooking over the stove, Ye Jin was fully focused on her task as she carefully flipped her pancakes. The scent of milk warming up in the pan slowly wafted over to the bedroom, waking the sleeping prince.

"Mmm...Eon Jin, what's that delicious smell." Hyun Bin muttered lazily as he took in the notes of rich buttermilk mixed with sweet cream and the lingering scent of vanilla.

When his love never answered him, Hyun Bin took a peep at Ye Jin's side of the bed, only to find her missing. Yawning like a lion, Hyun Bin sat up slowly before he rubbed the sleep off his eyes. Pursing his lips, he followed the scented path to the kitchen where Ye Jin was swaying slightly as she hummed while flipping the pancakes.

She's making him buttermilk pancakes.

Beautiful.

He loves her so much.