Episode 41: (Sophie's POV)

Before:

"Like I said," Biana told him gently. "I get every point of view. After the... kiss... happened, Keefe hailed me and told me what happened. Then, I talked to Sophie with the girls. And now I'm here."

"Don't tell me you-"

"Every time, Fitz. Keefe and Sophie hail me every time anything major happens. And this was pretty major."

Fitz nodded, his neck bobbing as he stopped himself from asking what they'd said. It was none of his business... and he wasn't really sure he wanted to know, anyway.

"It'll be okay, Fizz," Biana whispered, using his (rather unimaginative) childhood nickname as she wrapped her arms around him.

He let his arms wrap around her waist. Maybe he even believed her.

It was strange, almost.

Strange that school started the next day. A new week, as if nothing had ever happened.

But everything had changed; the dynamic in Sophie's friend group had changed entirely.

Everyone in the group seemed to know, even if they'd managed to keep it confined; it didn't seem like word had reached the rest of Foxfire, thankfully.

Somehow, Dex and Tam had been told about the kiss or the breakup or something, and it was exceedingly obvious that they had no idea how to handle it. Other than the occasional tease from Dex and subtle snorts from Tam, they mainly didn't comment.

Especially since Fitz was at school, too.

Sophie considered talking to him, but judging by the look on his face whenever he saw her, maybe it was better to stay away.

That seemed to be his preferred method, anyway, given he was avoiding her like the plague.

He was avoiding Keefe, too, and the way he crossed the room to avoid both of them made Sophie wonder if he knew what had happened.

But that was impossible, she tried to reassure herself. Because even though every time she thought of the kiss her heart fluttered and a blush darkened her cheeks, Keefe hadn't told him, and the girls wouldn't.

Although if everyone in the group seemed to know, it seemed likely Fitz knew as well.

But Sophie shoved the thought from her mind. He was probably just avoiding her because of the breakup. She was avoiding him a little too; that is, not going out of her way to cross paths.

But either way, she needed to talk to Keefe. And not just because she missed him.

Although she did.

But she hadn't talked to him since yesterday, and even though it was such a small amount of time, she found herself looking into her imparter, about to say his name before forcing it down and reminding herself that they needed some time to work through stuff.

But she needed to talk to him. Today. Because Biana had said something about Keefe and Fitz talking stuff over, and since it obviously didn't work (judging by the way Fitz was avoiding both of them) Sophie could only imagine. And her imagination had basically predicted the splitting of their entire friend group in about five minutes, so she obviously needed to have words with the empath.

Getting through the school day was agonizing. Each time Fitz walked away when he saw her coming, each time Keefe sat away from her with a quick glance around at who might be looking, each teasing glance and loaded smile and subtle smirk drove her crazy.