Episode 15: (Sophie's POV)

Before:

"Fitz, I would like to see you inside for a moment," Grady growled.

Edaline wasn't angry like Grady, but she was just as embarrassing, with a bunch of sappy smiles and head nods and winks. Grady looked terrifying, though, his eyebrows drawn together in a scary line across his forehead, legs planted, arms crossed.

"Dad-" Sophie tried.

"No. Come inside," Grady looked like he wanted to pick Fitz up and drag him to the house, but restrained himself, thankfully. "Get ready for a looooooong talk."

"Dad!"

Grady ignored her.

"DAD!"

Still nothing.

"Mom, make him stop, please!" Sophie pleaded.

"Sorry, hon, but this can't be stopped," Edaline laughed softly. "Brant and the rest of Jolie's boyfriends all went through this too."

"But still! It's embarrassing!" Sophie knew she was getting whiny, but she didn't care.

"Sophie, it's fine," Fitz said. "I'll just answer his questions." The confident words couldn't hide the nerves trembling underneath.

"Believe me, nothing is going to stop this," Grady growled, and led Fitz into the kitchen. Sophie and Edaline went into the living room.

"Soo... you and Fitz, huh?" Edaline probed the subject.

Sophie sighed. She was not able to avoid the subject forever. "Fine. Yes. We are dating."

"Yay! But what about Keefe?"

"What about Keefe?" Sophie crossed her arms.

"Nothing, nothing," Edaline held up her hands in surrender. "But, I should probably admit to peeking a few times while you and Fitz were having your very sweet moment by Jolie's tree. Though I regret telling Grady..."

"What? Ugh!" Sophie groaned, covering her embarrassed face with her hands. "Why are parents so annoying?"

"I'm pretty sure it's our job," Edaline laughed again. "But if it makes you feel better, my parents were just as bad when I married Grady. And, Della has told me some of her horror stories from when she married Alden."

"Wait, marriage? How did that subject get brought up?" Sophie decided her hands weren't enough and hid behind a pillow.

"Well, you are fifteen. You can register for the match if you want." Edaline gently reminded her.

"Oh, wow. I... forgot." She had. Now was the time when her grade would start registering. As if she needed more drama in her life.

"Well, I think I've sufficiently embarrassed you, so I'm gonna go check on Grady and make sure he's not being too hard on Fitz." Edaline patted Sophie's arm and went into the next room. Sophie debated whether or not to spy.

If she did, she could decide how mad to be at Grady when he had his talk with her later.

But, then he would know she'd eavesdropped...

Sophie was making a mental pros and cons list when Edaline poked her head through the door. "They're done. Or, Grady's done. You can come in now."

"Do I want to come in?" Sophie started composing a new pros and cons list.

"Yes! Come on!" Edaline chuckled, grabbing Sophie's hand and pulling her into the room before she could pull away.

Surprisingly, the atmosphere wasn't tense at all. Fitz and Grady were calmly talking as though Fitz weren't dating Grady's daughter. Grady didn't look too annoyed, and Fitz didn't seem nervous. Maybe Grady approved...