Episode 32: (Sophie's POV)

Before:

Alvar laughing his booming laugh.

Iggy sneezing and rubbing his face with his tiny paws.

Fitz taking her hand, telling her they would go at her own pace.

Keefe showing her a drawing of a necklace of flowers.

Keefe wrenching his head to the side dramatically as Biana screeched at him, covered in slime.

Keefe telling her it was okay to be sad.

Keefe.

Keefe.

Keefe.

Sophie opened her eyes.

How could-

She had had no idea that-

"Having fun?" The door opened quickly, almost as though the person opening it had wanted to catch them at something.

Sophie and Keefe both jumped. Keefe tumbled off the bed, legs flailing into the air as he fell over the side and landed on the floor with a painful sounding thump.

Sophie winced. At least the flowered carpet broke his fall.

The person poked his head around the door, and Sophie prayed it wasn't Fitz with all her being.

Wow, she was a terrible girlfriend.

But, luckily, it wasn't Fitz.

Grady's eyes were narrowed as he took in Keefe, lying on the ground in an awkward position. He immediately scrambled up, into a sitting posture.

Grady shook his head. "I hope I wasn't interrupting anything?" He spoke in a way that made it clear that he did in fact hope that he had interrupted something, and that something would be bad enough that Keefe would be eligible to be kicked out of the house.

"Nope!" Sophie blustered, praying that he was alone-

No, because why would her wishes be granted?

Grady grunted, unconvinced. But he let it go, even though the look in his eyes made Sophie sure that they'd be revisiting this later.

"Fitz is downstairs waiting for you," Grady told her.

And.... then came the nerves, and the worry, with a touch of guilt, too.

She had-

Keefe had-

They had almost-

"I should go," Keefe almost whispered, keeping his head down as though he wanted to hide his face.

Sophie hesitated, not wanting him to be there when she saw Fitz but not wanting to offend him. Grady saved her from having to formulate a response.

"Yes. You should," Grady's voice wasn't exactly cold, or unfeeling (he'd probably heard the news), but it had enough bite that Keefe nodded, standing up quickly to hold his crystal up to the light streaming into the bedroom.

"Wait, Keefe..." Sophie stood, staring at Keefe in the hopes that he'd look up and meet her gaze.

He didn't, holding his home crystal up to the strands of light spearing through the room. The reflection glanced off the facet, creating a path, but Keefe hesitated before stepping into it. He lifted his head, meeting Sophie's gaze.

His ice-blue stare pierced right through her, as surely as icicles through snow.

The shared stare lasted one second and one thousand years, stabbing clean through Sophie's heart, taking her breath away until she dropped her gaze.