Chapter 3: Blind

Cass ran as fast as she could, carrying Varian out of the tunnel, Ruddiger on her shoulders. Once they were out of the tunnel, Cass went into the castle courtyard.

As Cass started running up the stairs, John noticed Varian in her arms. "What happened?" He asked as Cass reached the top of the stairs. "I don't know! Can you help me get him to his room?" she answered. When the guard nodded, she handed Varian to him, then they ran to Varian's room.

"Is he okay?" John questioned as he put Varian on the bed. "I don't know, he's alive if that's what you mean," Cass replied, staring at the unconscious alchemist. "What can I do to help?" he asked, seeing how distressed Cass was. "You already have, thanks John," she responded greatfully, "you should probably get back to your post".

He nodded then said, "if there's anything I can do, just come find me, okay". She looked at him curiously. "Why are you being so nice to me?" Cass asked, "I mean, obviously you were assigned to protect me, which I'm honestly trying not to be offended by, but that doesn't mean you have to be nice to me".

"Well, it wouldn't do either of us any good if I was rude to you," John answered as he left to get back to his post. Cass stared at the door for a second then looked down at Varian.

She waited. That was the only thing she could do. Cass waited for him to move, but ,other then his chest rising and falling, he didn't. She waited for what seemed like forever. The steady and very faint sound of Varian breathing was the only thing to be heard in the room.

Raps and Eugene came by once they heard what happened. They stayed for a bit before they were called away.

A couple hours after that, the sound of Varian's breathing became a little louder. Cass looked up from the purple necklace in her hand, to see Ruddiger sniffing Varian's face, then his head moved a little.

🔷

Varian could feel something soft under his head and something sniffing his face. He moved his head slightly. He could hear someone calling him faintly. "Varian!" He heard a very formiliar voice call again.

"C... Cass?" He said softly, opening his eyes slightly then closed them again. She let out a breath and laughed happily. "Hey, call me Cassie," she replied, relieved that he was awake.

Varian opened his eyes slowly, expecting light to come into them, but it didn't. "Cassie, where are you?" He asked, "why is it so dark in here?". Cass stared at him for a second before answering, "It's not". "W-what do you mean? I-I-I can't see anything," he answered.

Cass thought she knew what was going on and was really hoping she was wrong. There was one way to tell. She looked at his eyes then gasped. "Varian... your eyes... they're clouded over," she said, worried. "Wh-what! No..." he replied as he lowered his head.

"What happened?" Cass asked. "I-I don't know! It-it shouldn't have reacted like that, I was just making Flynnolium," he answered while trying not to panic, "And I was wearing my goggles, it shouldn't have blinded me! Or knocked me out." "Maybe you mixed it wrong?" Cass questioned gently. "No, n-none of the ingredients would've caused this," he replied, bringing his hand to his head.

He then grabbed his side and began to groan in pain. "Varian-" she started but was cut off when Varian started coughing. When he stopped coughing Cass felt his forehead. "Varian, you're burning up," she exclaimed. Varian then started to shiver.