Chapter 13: The Full Moon (part 2)

(Hey y'all, I am so so sorry for taking so long to finish this chapter, I hate making y'all wait)

"I came as fast as I could, what happened?" Rose said, rushing into the room. John came a couple seconds after her but stayed outside the room. "I-I don't know, he just started shaking and groaning in his sleep then just suddenly stopped, I can't wake him up!" Cass responded, stepping back as the nurse came to the side of the bed.

Rose took the stethoscope from around her neck and put it to the alchemist's chest then listened for a moment. "Is he...?" Cass started, fidgeting with her necklace as she watched. "No," she answered then glanced over at Cass and back to Varian, "he's alive." Cass let out a relieved sigh then asked, "what's wrong with him?". "I'm not sure, but his breathing and heart rate are extremely slow," Rose answered before she saw a light out of the corner of her eye.

Both women looked towards it. "The petals are glowing again," Cass said to herself. "'Again'?" Rose asked and Cass nodded. "They were glowing before he started shaking and groaning then his chest started glowing too," she explained. The nurse was about to ask something before they heard Varian's breathing begin to pick up.

They looked back at him and saw he had started shaking once again. "This has to be a reaction to the flowers, you said you couldn't wake him up?" Rose asked. "Yes! I was shaking him and yelling his name but he didn't respond at all," Cass answered as Varian began to groan, still exhaling the dust.

Rose quickly went over to the desk. She grabbed a vial of the white pain medicine then added a couple drops of another medicine to it as she went back to the bed. Cass carefully sat Varian up so he wouldn't choke on the medicine then the nurse slowly poured the liquid into his mouth. Moments later Varian stopped groaning and his breathing began to calm down. Rose then put her stethoscope to his chest and listened.

🔷

Varian was suddenly pulled from a deep sleep like none he had experienced before. He then felt something small and cold being pressed to his chest, waking him up a little more. The small, cold thing was soon pulled away and he heard a little bit of chatter. "Varian!" He heard Cass call a few minutes later. "No, just let me sleep," he thought before she called him again.

Realizing she sounded more desperate this time, Varian slowly opened his eyes. "Varian! Oh thank goodness," Cass exclaimed, pulling him into a hug. He hesitantly hugged her back and looked over at Rose, who seemed to be just as relived.

Once Cass broke away from the hug Varian gave her a confused and worried look. "Are you okay Cassie?" He asked. The girls looked at eachother then back to him. "Yeah, I'm fine," Cass responded. "Are you okay?" Rose asked as she stepped closer to Varian. "I guess, other then the fact you guys just woke me up at three in the morning," he answered with a chuckle as he layed back and closed his eyes.

"Sorry, we just had to make sure you were actually going to wake up," Cass responded. Varian then opened his eyes and sat back up. "What do you mean?" He asked, giving her a confused and almost scared look. "We couldn't wake you up, you were practically in a coma," the woman answered. "Were you in any pain?" The nurse asked. "No, I-I don't think so," Varian replied, "why?". The girls then told him what happened.

"... Then you started shaking and groaning again," Cass told the boy. "It was probably a reaction to the flower," Rose added then Cass stared out the window at the night sky. "Or the full moon," she said after thinking for a moment. "What are you talking about?" The nurse asked, glancing towards the window.