Chapter 19: The Wedding (part 2)

(I don't know why this took so long to write, I'm so sorry y'all, I hope this with worth the wait)

☀️

As the guests continued taking their seats, Eugene and Varian came in through one of the side doors. Varian then found the seat reserved for him in the front row next to Edmund and the Schnitz girls, while Eugene took his place at the altar.

It wasn't long before elegant piano music filled the room. Varian, Edmund, and the two sisters, along with most of the crowd, turned towards the tall doors at back of the room as they began to open. The maid of honor and the best man then started walking towards the altar with their arms linked; behind them strode Max and Pascal, the ring bearer and flower... chameleon?

While others gasped or whispered when they saw Cass, Varian just stared, almost like he was hypnotized. "Wow," he said softly, in awe of her. "You better get her before someone else does V," Kiera joked then Catalina giggled. "I already have," the alchemist responded with a smile.

Once they got to the front of the room, Lance took his place next to Eugene. Cass took her place next to where the bride would stand, and the two animals, slightly behind her to the right.

Hearing how the guests had gasped and whispered, the woman glanced at the crowd nervously before she saw Varian staring at her with a loving smile. Seeing him eased her nerves. She relaxed a little as a small smile crept across her face.

The Wedding March then began to play. Everyone present turned and, row by row, they stood as the bride and her father made their way down the aisle. Varian could clearly tell Rapunzel was trying her best not to squeal as she stepped up to the altar. The princess handed Cass her bouquet before excitedly turning to Eugene.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to celebrate the joining of Rapunzel and Eugene in marriage," the priest said, seeing the princess was eager to get started.

Cass watched the priest continue reading from a large book before noticing that Lance was looking behind her with a confused look on his face. The woman then looked over to Varian and saw that he was looking the same place Lance was, only he looked less confused and more concerned. Out of curiosity, Cass looked behind her and saw why; Max and Pascal were gone. She looked back at Lance, who shrugged, then over to the alchemist.

Noticing she was looking to him for an answer, Varian lifted his hand a little, pointed to his ring finger, then tilted his head toward the hallway behind Cass. He had seen Max sneeze, saw the rings bounce out of the room, and watched Max and Pascal go after them. "I probably should've been the ring bearer," he mumbled to himself before chuckling anxiously.

As the ceremony continued Cass, Varian, and Lance were just hoping the animals would be back with the rings by the end of the ceremony and that Raps and Eugene wouldn't notice they were gone.

Varian went back to listening to the priest reading the vows. As he listened, all he could think about was Cass; how beautiful she was, how strong she was, how caring she was. The more he thought, the more he realized, if he had to choose between saving her life and saving his own, he would choose her's again. He would choose her every time.

Varian was soon pulled from his thoughts when he heard Rapunzel gasp then he looked towards the altar. When he did, he saw that Max and Pascal were back but they were covered in... tar?

Cass took a step back as Max walked over to the couple. The horse held out the pillow and Eugene quickly swiped the rings, everyone staring at the animals. Rapunzel took one of the rings and put it on Eugene's finger then he did the same before looking back to eachother.