Chapter 6: The Legend (part 2)

Once he stopped coughing, Varian began to shiver again. John and Xavier just stood there in shock. Varian slowly lifted his head and took a shaky breath. "Cassie..." He said before he grabbed his side again.

"Don't worry, Varian, you'll be okay," Cass assured him then looked at Xavier. "How long does he have? Does it say?" She asked him. Xavier went over to one of his shelves and chose a book about legends. He opened it to a page in the middle.

"I thought it did," Xavier answered after he read for a moment. He then put down the open book and went back to the shelf. Cass went over to the book and looked at the page it was open to. On the top of the page was a formiliar picture.

"Xavier, what's this a picture of?" Cass asked at she pointed at the page

"Xavier, what's this a picture of?" Cass asked at she pointed at the page. "I've always assumed it was a drawing of a Stardust flower, why?" He responded. "It was on the Demanitus Scroll," she answered. That caught Varian attention.

"What?" he said. "Do you remember that little purple picture near the top of the scroll?" Cass asked him. "Th-that was a Stardust flower?" Varian responded. "Apparently, did the scroll say anything about it?" She replied. "It could've, there was a part that I-I couldn't fully translate," Varian replied as he started to stand up with John's help. "It was like it was in a code in the lagrange that it was written in, the only thing I could translate just said something about five days; it-it seemed like a warning," he finished.

"Five days," Cass repeated, "we only have five days to find the cure!". "Wouldn't it be four days since you said it happened yesterday?". "That's not helping John!" she answered. "Sorry," he replied.

"You may not have that long to find the flowers though," Xavier added. "What do you mean?" Cass inquired. "It is said that they disappear the night of the full moon," he answered. "But that's tomorrow night," Varian stated, "that means-". "We have to go tonight!" Cass interrupted.

"To Mount Saison? Cassandra, we can't get a wagon over there and I don't know if he can walk that far right now," John responded. "I don't have to walk," Varian replied, "I can ride, as long as the horse can see I can ride".

Cass and John looked at Xavier. "He is right, all it takes a well trained horse and a little trust," he answered. "Okay, I'll ask Eugene if we can take Max, we can leave after Rose is done for the day," Cass replied. She went towards the opening in the tent. "Thanks for the help Xavier," she said. He nodded in response.

"Cassandra," he called as she was about to leave, "if you guys need help with the antidote or anything else, just come get me, no matter what time it is. I don't want to lose him either." She turned to look at him. "Thanks," she replied with a small smile when walked away with John and Varian.

🔷

Once they got back to the castle, Rose came to check on how Varian was doing. She kept coming by to monitor him each hour between her other duties.

"You're right, he's seems to be getting worse," Rose said the last time she came by. His fever had gotten warmer, he was shivering more often, and his coughing seemed to be getting stronger as the day progressed. "I think it would be better if he stays here while you get the flower," she told Cass. "No, I'm going," Varian stated. "Varian...".

"Rose, please," he begged then sighed, "I know I'm blind, and I know I'm not getting any better, but she can't go alone! What if they try doing something to her again? I'm the only one who's heard them before, I'm the only one who would know if they tried to do it again. It would be safer if all three of us went, please".

Rose thought for a moment then sighed. "Okay, I have one more appointment, it'll probably be done in half an hour, then we can go," she answered and went towards the door. "Really? Yes, thank you Rose," Varian responded happily. Cass told Rose they would meet her at the stables. She nodded then went out the door.

After Rose left, Cass helped Varian gather some things for the trip then they went by Cass's room so she could grab a couple things too. Once they were done there, they went to the stables. Rose came not too long after them. They put their things in the saddle bags, helped Varian onto Max, and got going.

🔷

As they rode through town towards the bridge Varian began to hear the town's people talking. "Where do you think they're going," a woman said. "Who knows, but look, Cassandra has her sleeping bag, maybe the princess finally kicked her out," answered another. "Yeah, she doesn't deserve to be in the kingdom," remarked a third woman.

He heard Cass sigh sadly. Varian had been hearing people talk about Cass ever since she left and he couldn't take it anymore. "Hey! What's it gonna take for you to forgive her?" He exclaimed as he stopped Max. "What?" The first woman scoffed. Varian then got off Max and went towards the voice. "You heard me! She died fixing her mistake! So what else does she need to do? Huh?," he retorted, "if you're not gonna forgive her then don't forgive me."

"Why wouldn't we forgive you? You've done so much for us," said the second woman. "And I've done so much to you," he answered. "You gave us hot running water". "After I blow up Old Corona". "You helped stop the Saporians". "After I helped them take over". "You stopped the red rocks". "Using the same formula I made that encased my dad!". "You helped restore the King and Queen's memories". "I just covered them in pick goo".

"She single handedly took over the kingdom!". "And I single handedly kidnapped and nearly killed the queen!". "She released Zhan Tiri!". "And died destroying her!". "She-". "Took down Lady Caine? Led the charge against me to save the queen? Stopped that Saporian from stealing the Book of Hearts?". The women just stared at him. "She did so much more for you then she ever did to you, and that makes her a better person then I'll ever be!" Varian continued, "so if you can't forgive her, don't forgive me!".

With that, he walked back to Max. He found stirrup of the saddle, and pulled himself up. Once he was on, they continued on their way, leaving those women speechless.

"Thank you," Cass said to him. "For what?" Varian replied. "For what? For standing up for me!" She answered with a smile. "Well, I know it can be hard to hear them talk about you like that, but I would go through that again so you don't have to do it alone," he answered with a sweet smile.

Rose couldn't help but giggle a little. "What?" Cass asked her. "Oh, nothing," she answered in a teasing tone and giggled again.

They made it to Mount Saison a couple hours later. They had to stop a few times when Varian had coughing fits, but they got there and started up the mountainside by sunset. Once they got to the top they took their stuff off the horses and let them rest while they started a camp fire. Then they sat around the fire and ate while waiting for the sun to set all the way.

Once it was dark Cass got up and went to where she saw the flowers last time. She could see the flowers starting to appear when she heard Varian beginning to groan in pain. She turned around to see him hunched over on the ground. Rose was next to him looking defeated; she didn't know what to do to help him.

Cass quickly went over to them as Varian started coughing. He coughed more then he had before. After the coughing stopped he sat there panting for a moment before beginning to shiver. Rose went over to her bag, pulled out a blanket, and wrapped it around him.

Once he stopped shivering he lifted his head, opened his eyes, and froze. "Varian? What is it?" Cass asked. He looked up at her, confused but happy.

"C-Cassie! I.. I can see!"