Chapter 8: The Guard

They had left Mount Saison a little over two hours ago and were now entering town. As they walked towards the castle they noticed there was no whispering and no one talking about Cass. They were able to walk through town without any trouble from the people and went straight to the castle.

"Hey, did you guys find the flowers?" Asked John once Cass and Varian got to the top of the stairs. "We did, but we don't have them, Rose does, have you seen her?" Cass replied. "Actually, yeah, about an hour ago," he answered after he thought for a second. "Do you know where she was going?" Varian asked. "Probably the dungeon," John replied. "Why do you think that?" Cass asked and gave him a confused look. "Um, she was handcuffed and being escorted by a guard," he answered.

"What!" Cass and Varian almost yelled in unison. "Why?" Varian then asked. "He said she was the one who blinded you and that he had orders from the captain to lock her up," John told him. "Why would she do that then try to help me?" Varian questioned and continued, "besides, the people I heard outside my door both sounded like men."

"Who was a guard?" Cass asked. "I don't know, I think he was new, I'd never seen him before," John answered and Cass sighed. "Okay, so Fitzherbert ordered a new guard, to go all the way out to Mount Saison, and arrest the nurse who was helping Varian because she was the reason Varian needed help in the first place?" She said and raised her eyebrows. John stared at her for a second. "It sounds way more suspicious when you say it like that," he said.

Cass sighed and began to walk away. Varian heard her steps. "Where are we going?" He asked as he started to follow her. "To talk to Eugene," she answered and turned around just in time to see Varian about to run into a wall. She quickly grabbed his arm to stop him and guided him towards the door. He stepped inside and Cass followed.

🛡

"Have you looked in the courtyard?" Eugene asked a guard as he sat at the table in the guard tower. "Yes sir, and we are petroling the town," the guard replied. "And you haven't found him yet?" Eugene continued. "No, sir," he answered before the door suddenly opened.

"Fitzherbert!" Cass exclaimed as she came in, Varian came after her. Eugene froze then looked at the guard he was talking to just to see him salute and quickly leave the room. "Cass, Varian, how was the mountain?" He asked nervously.

Cass took the key they found out of her pocket and slammed it on the table. "Hey, I've been looking for this," Eugene said then picked it up. "We found it on Mount Saison," Cass replied angrily. "Why was it on Mount Saison?" He asked giving Cass a confused look. "Why don't you ask the guard you sent to arrest Rose last night," Cass responded. "Why on earth would I send someone to arrest her?"

"Wait, you didn't?" Varian asked. "No, Rapunzel, one of her parents, or even Nigel, could've but I would've known if they did, do you know who was the guard?" Eugene responded. "No, John said he didn't recognize him, he thought he was new," Cass answered and Eugene's eyes widened. "I don't have any new guards," he said as he quickly got up.

He rushed towards the door but stopped when he heard Varian groaning. Eugene turned around to see Cass carefully lower him to the floor close to the wall. Varian grabbed his side once he was on the floor and continued groaning in pain. "Kid, you okay?" He asked and went over to them. "Does he seem okay!" Cass exclaimed as Eugene knelt down next to her.

Varian then began coughing loudly. Cass and Eugene looked at him worried and noticed he began to cough purple dust. Eugene looked at Cass to see her staring at Varian with wide eyes. That was enough for him to know that either this hadn't happened before, or it wasn't good, maybe both. He looked back at Varian and saw that he was now leaning back against the wall with his eyes closed, shivering slightly as he tried to catch his breath.