Chapters 10: The Final Countdown

Every time he glanced at his emails from Gary he felt a dull ache way down low in his chest. It was torture to love someone like that, it wasn't fair that he could possibly be in love with such an asshole.

That's what he was after all, an asshole. Did Gary of all people even deserve a happy ending? This began to make Ash wonder if happy endings even existed, he liked to think that somewhere on this planet someone could get everything they've ever wanted out of life.

Then again, he could sit here all day long wondering if it was possible and nothing good would come out of it. There was a strong urge to send him an email – to acknowledge Gary's feelings for him, to do something to try and fix the situation. Somehow, someway he thought if he did that he'd get his happy ending.

Ash looked at his latest email from Gary, it was a completely new Gary- one he wasn't quite sure he liked very much at all.

To: Ash Ketchum

From: Gary Oak

I can't get you out of my head, Ash. I fucked up, I know I fucked up. It doesn't change the way I feel about you, maybe I didn't let you know just how important to me you were when I was there but it's true.

I stay up every night wishing I could change the way I treated you, I didn't handle my feelings for you properly. I know that now. There's so many things I wish I could have told you in person, the way I've always been just a tad bit obsessed with you. I've always wanted to beat you – to make you notice me in some way.

I never went about things the right way, but maybe you haven't either. You're not giving me another chance, you're hiding away like a fucking coward. I'm sick of sending emails to you, Ash – I know you read every single one. Some days I feel like you'll reply if I'm sweet enough, but even when I pour my heart out and give you everything I can you shut me out.

Stop shutting me out, Ash. I can't take this anymore, you're driving me insane. Some nights I wonder if killing myself would make you feel better, to know that you'd never have to deal with me again.

I'm not that childish to even attempt suicide, that's always been a cowards way out. You're not fine, I know you're not fine. Get your cute little ass up and fucking email me back before I do something I might regret.

You have my heart, Ash, decide what you want to do with it .

The email was dated from a few days ago, it was the nicest email he had sent since the beginning of them – they slowly began to be a lot more violent and rude, demanding Ash speak to him or else.

Ash never once fell for the threats, content to simply read them and never reply. Today however, every part of himself wanted to reply and once he started writing all he could manage to write was "Do you still want me?" It was silly, he knew Gary wanted him – he wasn't quite sure why exactly he could only come up with those five words but he was satisfied when he sent them, anxious and nearly sick while he waited for a response.

He never got one, instead his phone started beeping obnoxiously next to him and he quickly answered it, eager to get whoever it was to leave him alone.

"Ash," Gary whispered into the receiver, his soft breathing audible over the phone. He had read the email it seemed.

"Yes?" he asked quietly, biting his lip nervously. "Of course I do, I- I'm just gonna come to visit you again, okay?" Gary mumbled out quickly.

"I'm sorry, I won't leave you again – I promise." it was something bold to promise Ash, considering he had left before and could easily do it again but something about that email haunted him. Gary did not seem like himself at all when he wrote that.

"Okay," he whispered the reply, now that he could verbally speak to him his mouth seemed dry and unable to form any words.

"I'm on my way, I love you." Gary said fondly, so grateful to have another chance to be with Gary.

"I believe you,"