Ambition

The dawn cracked open. The sun rose, a golden dragon breathing his red flames into the darkness. As the endless night ended with the dawning day, a boy as bright and glimmering as the sun in the sky was born, breaking the eerie silence of the hospital with his cry. Born with no weary, and ignorant of the world, and with ambitions to live.

Time ticked away. The boy turned five. He has started to go to school. He has learnt to dream and dreams to learn. He is full of life and his journey has just started. He is ambitious to go to school, learn and make friends like his mum told him to.

Time ticks away and he is ten. His new text books have pictures of outer space and he saw the Star Wars movie with his brother last night. A seed of love and ambition to venture out into the cosmos gets planted into his young heart. At night he dreams that one fateful night, from the midst of some farm, he will be picked up by aliens to save the universe. At day he empties the fish bowl and wears it on his head impersonating to be an astronaut. Bill is ten and wants to be an astronaut. Though it was hard he realized, but he was not afraid of storms as he was learning how to sail his ship.

Years pass away. Bill is sixteen. He was passing by the home of the girl, he used to bully when they were twelve, when he saw her. She wasn't doing a thing, except standing there on the balcony railing, holding the universe together, watching the slow dance of the infinite stars in the sky. That is when he realized that it happened ; accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment, he fell in love. He found the whole universe he dreamt to venture, sparkle in the reflection of her eyes. He grew ambitious to win her heart.

The sands of time pile up their sand. He lost himself in the process of loving someone too much and forgetting that he was special too. His ambitions of becoming an astronaut died with his ambitions of winning the girl he loved more than himself when he found her getting engaged with his best friend. He was a fool in love. He is twenty five, and got a job in an office in the town.

Time elapsed and he was thirty and when his eyes fell on that photo of him with his mum and dad, memories of their hardship and love for him struck him hard enough to throw the sleeping pills in his hands away. He was lonely, and depressed, but now he was ready to be strong and he decides to turn the hourglass to pile up sand once again.

Years fade away. He meets a girl who fell in love with him, one who loved him against reason, against promise, against hope, and against all discouragement that could be. They get married and Bill finds a new universe to venture, a new tempest to tame and a new ambition to live.

He is fifty and his embers of ambitions to venture outer space spark again as he gets a job in the international space station.

The tides of time tick away as the cosmic clock shifts it's hand. He is now eighty and is coming back home from one last day at office. His journey is almost about to end. He is ambitious to go home and bond with his grandchildren and family and lives to just live.

The hourglass has almost emptied. Bill is ninety, sitting in an armchair in the same hospital where he first opened his eyes, the same place where his lungs breathed and his hearts beat the first time. He has no weary, and is ignorant of the world, and just awaits to rest forever. He slowly closes his eyes with the same softness as he opened them the first time...