The Audience

A/N** This response has been written by Khyrul Anam Khan. 

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Our honourable Principal is now going to hand over the academic prize to Sarah Clinton. She has stood first in her class. So, please put your hands together for Sarah..."

An eruptus applause near blew off the roof and out of the cheer I emerged into the stage. Oh! How blissful I was! I had been anticipating this day for weeks. Finally in front of this wonderful audience, I am going to see my dream come true. I sprinted across the stage, almost slipped but pulled myself together at the nick of time, received the prize and posed for a photograph, smiling from ear to ear. I could hardly wait to show it to my parents. I scampered across, ran down the stairs on the other side and was just about to fall into my Dad's open arms when suddenly an announcement addressing my name pierced my ears,

"Please wait Sarah! Come back and tell us how you are feeling after scoring the highest marks of your class."

This announcement suddenly cut past all the chaos and the world stood still for me. I was shattered. I had always abhorred speaking in front of the public. I was only a girl of Grade-III and I wasn't even told about this impromptu speech- at least I could have rehearsed something! I looked at Dad- he know what a scaredy cat I was. But he only smiled at me and ushered me back up the stairs.

Like a toy robot, I climbed up the stairs and literally dragged myself to the front of the microphone. My throat got as dry as sandalwood and I began to feel butterflies in my stomach. I slowly raised my head to face the audience- but surely they did not seem as 'wonderful' and 'warm' as they seemed before. The entire hall was abrim with people- people of all ages, complexions and expressions. I was drowned in a sea of unknown faces- faces which seemed to shoot penetrating stares at me, mouths which seemed to devour me with their heinous laughter. The audience was so cold and still- there was pin drop silence in the room- a deadly silence which made me deaf and made me even more nervous. The audience looked so expectant. The rotating eyes of many were glued to every movement of my limb. I tried my best to blurt out some words and run down the stage but no word would reach my lips. My mind went totally blank. I felt as if someone had clutched my throat and whispered in my ear 'Do not speak!' I started shaking like a leaf and my heart pounded against my ribcage like a stone. The ticking of every second seemed to be like the passing of a year. At this moment, I saw some droopy faces yawning to tears. I even discovered some of my friends in the corner muttering and laughing at their sleeves. Fidgeting as I was like a cat on hot bricks, this sight pushed me to my limit. I breathed in a bucketful of confidence and threw out some words ( I don't remember if the language was alien) at the audience which summarized my feelings. I then vanished from the stage and hid my face on my Dad's lap, sobbing. The healing voice of Dad said "Don't worry, Sarah! You did great. You were fantastic back there. Just look at the audience."

I turned my body 180 degrees and to my utter surprise discovered the audience on their feet, giving me a standing ovation (although I had my doubts whether they were doing it willingly or just to console me). I smeared the welling tears and pulled off a toothy grin. Maybe today the bread wasn't buttered on both sides, I thought to myself, but I guess it was not too bad a show I put up in front of the monstrous audience.