The message

The moment I set my eyes on the computer screen, a green, flickering dot caught my attention. It was rushing along a straight line without stopping at any station. I sensed something was wrong.

"Why is the Peak Express not stopping anywhere? Check into it and inform me as soon as possible," I voiced the order and went back to my chamber. It had not been even two minutes that Frederick rushed into my chamber, panting for breath. He handed over a parcel to me. I undid the wrapper, tore apart the small box and discovered a tape-recorder inside it. When I pressed the 'start' button, a hoarse, scratchy voice sounded, "Mr. Jackson, do you recognise me? Why would you? You did not bother about me when you threw me out of the department blaming a scandal on me. It became a national headline- Oh! How much pain you gave me at the cost of my dignity. I told you that I was going to make you pay dearly and I have kept my word. The Peak Express has a bomb fitted to it, it's under the 7th compartment. If the train slows down below 70 km/h, then it would blast and boom- ashes everywhere! Now whether you manage to switch it off or not, time is very short. Let's see how you can save these people and become a hero. Fly superman, fly, ha ha ha ....."

That uncouth, evil grin set the blood in my veins boiling in anger. "Richard, you villain! You're gonna pay for it. Frederick, get me a helicopter," I shouted and stormed out of the chamber.

When I landed on the roof of the 7th compartment with the aid of a ladder, I realised that the train was travelling very fast. The driver of the train had already been informed about the danger and he should be keeping the train on the move. It was very difficult to maintain balance on top of the bare roof. So, I quickly took out the harness from my bag, put it in circles over my head and hauled it downwards. When I was assured that the claw had clung onto the metal door firmly enough, I descended carefully along the wire and flew into the compartment through the open door.

I was instantly hit by the curious speculations of scores of unknown faces. They all gazed at me as if I were a lunatic who had just broken out from the Bedlam. It was only when I had explained everything that they started treating me with some respect. All of a sudden, now that they knew my identity, panic burst out from everywhere. Everyone started crying and whining, begging to save them from the disaster. I felt like a V.I.P. and with some attitude I waved to them to calm down. "Don't worry, things are under control, nothing will happen." After that I walked to the middle of the compartment and cut out a big hole in the floor with my laser gun. As soon as I took the circular metal piece, I could see the tracks rushing past me with a frightening speed. It was with a lump in my throat that I squirmed through the gap and hung onto a metal pipe on the underside of the train. Looking up, I saw a big, black box fitted to the bottom right above my head. Right then, an alarming voice sounded on my earpiece, "Sir, the Peak is approaching a vicious turn. It'll never be able to make it through at that speed. You have to do something quickly." When I opened the cover, a mass of tangled wires appeared in front of my eyes. I was a professional bomb detonator but I had never faced a live bomb facing upside down like a bat. The blood soaring into my brain and the beads of salty sweat draining into my mouth was not enough to make my task difficult, there was also the nerve-racking countdown. "Sir, 30 metres to go," Should I cut the blue or red wire? "10 metres" blue or red or that black one? "5 metres" I snapped the blue wire with my penknife. The box peeped and the timer went off. The train jerked into a pit stop metres before the turn. It was a narrow escape to say the least!