Fortunate to be alive

I was not afraid until that moment when a waft of perfume suddenly hit my nose. The perfume was stark and very familiar. Suddenly my entire body cringed in fear as I understood what this indication meant. Right at that moment the cell phone beside my desk rang to life and almost made me jump out of my skin. With shaky hands I pressed the "receive call" button. From the other end a mechanical, broken whisper called out "Sophia, I am coming for you!" Before I could say anything, my cell phone buzzed twice and became dead. Fear of the uncertainty gripped me tightly. Sitting at my desk, I looked at the wall clock which showed it was 08:30 in the night. All my colleagues had departed long ago but I was strangled with some due work. At present, I felt very insecure and decided I should go home. So I left my desk and went to the M.D.'s chamber to seek his permission.

But what I saw there made me freeze to my marrow. I saw the manager lying in a pool of blood on the floor. Fresh blood was oozing out from the hole inside his skull and his head was twisted upside down. A gasp of terror escaped my mouth. My hunch had turned into reality; he had arrived. In a state of trance, I rushed to call the guard. But he too had been savagely stabbed to death by that man of diseased mind. His eyes were gouged out of the sockets and his stomach was split open but still his body squirmed occasionally at the doorstep making an unearthly grin. This terrible sight shook the sanity out of my mind and I screamed with all the air in my lungs. But the next moment I realised that I should not have done that. A faint sound of footsteps came from the dark staircase. It was too late to leave the building. I ran back to the office room. I was devastated as the only person, i.e. the guard, whom I could turn for help was also dead. Where should I hide now? By now the footsteps had inched nearer. I became crazy with fear and ran into the kitchen where I hid silently behind a big carton of vegetables. I was awestruck and obscure retrospections glimpsed down memory lane, desperately scouring for an identity of this serial killer. In the last two weeks, he had killed two of my friends and now he was after me. I had no notion of why he wanted to kill me. I imagined whether he was like the cloaked axeman of 'I know what you did last summer' or the masked assassin of 'Scream' movie but one thing was certain he was a ma of deformed mentality who liked to smack people's brains out just for the "fun" of it. By that time panic had gripped me tightly by the throat. I was feeling suffocated as rivulets of sweat glided down my neck and my heart pounded against my ribcage like a steamhammer. I did not know what to do - I felt so helpless that I put my head between my knees and sobbed silently. Just then a tattered voice reached my ears, "Hello Sophia,why are you crying?" I stood up instantly with a bolt and saw a lean, stabby man in jeans and T-shirt with a scar in his cheek. The tall figure stood in the way of the light which was getting in my eyes and made me squint.

Suddenly he grabbed me by the neck and hoisted me till my feet could not feel the ground. The shard edge of the knife shone in the light, ready to be plunged into my belly. Just then, almost like a reflex action, I flung out my arms, grabbed a bottle of pepper within reach and poured it into his eyes. As he let go with a heinous cry, I ceased the dagger and dug it into his thigh with all my might. He fell to his knees, groaning painfully and shouting obscene words. I rushed for the exit, but it was closed. I took out my matchbox, lit a splint and held it close to the roof. Within seconds a shower of water emerged together with a fire alarm. After five agonising minutes the fire-workers arrived sounding sirens of hope. As they arrested the killer, a doctor walked upto me and explained that he was actually a mentally imbalanced man who had fled from the asylum. Wrapped in a blanket, my legs trembled even in the midst of all the people- I was lucky to be alive!