XIX

The afternoon went by in a blur. After Malfoy's swift arrival and quick departure, Hermione stood there, rather stunned for a moment as she absorbed the implications of the conversation. Pressed against the tree, she couldn't ignore the burning hatred mingled with something else that stirred in her chest and made her feel woozy.

Ella found her in that same position a few minutes later which consequently led Malfoy to victory, who had hidden behind a very large lavender bush. He had avoided her gaze while everyone congratulated him. They played a few more rounds and Malfoy never once crossed Briar. When it was her turn to seek, she found Blaise and Malfoy loudly arguing over a spot (why was the snake always stealing another's spot, Hermione thought).

They then returned to the pool to cool off, which consisted mostly of the others playing a game of volley and Hermione sitting with her feet in the water, watching and smiling at the right moments. The sun was setting and dark clouds were rolling in as they grabbed their things to leave. As Hermione folded her towel, she felt the first drop of rain fall on her shoulder.

"We should hurry inside," she called out to Blaise and Malfoy in the midst of stacking the loungers. Water started dropping like little bombs as they rushed to get inside. Suddenly, the skies began to pour down rain with shocks of lightning making the sky grumble. "Inside! Now!" Blaise called to the little ones, and they sprinted indoors as Hermione struggled with the parasol, rain falling harder.

⋱⋰

"A little help, please?" she called out. Malfoy looked conflicted for a second but then ran over, pulled the parasol out of her arms, and together they went towards the shelter of the shed. As soon as they stepped the threshold they were safely out of the rain, with Malfoy already stacking and setting things away. Hermione could've cried when she saw her ruined book, it's pages soaked through with water.

Blaise was inside with Ella and Orion leaving Hermione and Malfoy alone. She stood there wide-eyed in her bathing suit when Malfoy glared at her. "Well? We have to go inside eventually," he said gruffly. "Oh, yes," Hermione said distractedly before tightening her grip on her things. They dashed out into the rain towards the comfort of the chateau where Blaise was waiting with an open door and a stack of fresh towels.

A sigh of relief escaped Hermione's mouth as she dripped water all over the marble floor. She gratefully took the plush towel and wrapped herself in it, wiping away the chill of the sudden rain. "Well that was a hearty mess," Blaise said, a towel wrapped around his waist and another on his shoulders. "I'll be upstairs in a warm bath- nobody interrupts me," he declared, before making his way upstairs, leaving wet tracks on the floor.

Hermione rolled her eyes, took a discarded towel, and began to wipe off the tracks her brother had left. She was getting quite efficient when Malfoy spoke up. "There's a house-elf for that." Hermione's head snapped indignantly. "Aggie's already got plenty to do and I don't mind. A little hard work never hurt anybody," she said pointedly. It was Malfoy's turn to roll his eyes. "You really haven't changed," he said snarkily, before following the others' path upstairs.

⋱⋰

The bath's warm steam and silky oils did not make Hermione's worries wash away as she tried to relax. She was very tense, and not even the smell of vanilla could loosen the knot under her chest. She gave up and left the bath, carefully moisturizing and taming her hair with muggle products that barely did a thing. Then, she pulled on sweats and an old sweater that smelled like the burrow, breathing in the familiar scent in this unfamiliar place.

She didn't know how she ended up falling asleep but the plush couch in front of the fireplace was so inviting and made her want to curl up under a blanket. She awoke at 10 that night, a platter of food with a warming charm and a note on her coffee table. We thought you might be hungry once you wake up so here's dinner. Sweet dreams. Aediva's elegant handwriting was surrounded by a large heart in pink ink, surely added by Ella.