XXIV

Aggie stepped on a wood crate and pulled out a shiny black record. With a gentle touch, she placed the stylus on the ridged surface and it scratched to life. A warbling voice eased through the turntable in a light ballad that Ginny seemed to know. The Weaslette began to hum along as Lonn weaved around with a large platter in hand, laden with petit hors-d'oeuvres for everybody to snack on. "Who's the singer?" Hermione asked as she grabbed what looked like a mozzarella appetizer.

Ginny looked at Hermione as if she had two heads. "It's Celestina Warbeck, of course. The voice is quite recognizable," she said. The name rang a bell as Hermione remembered Christmases with the Weasleys and Molly's off-pitch singing. She felt a pang at the idea of Mrs. Weasley. She hadn't even thought to ask Ginny how her mother was doing. How selfish, she thought. Aediva beckoned everyone to the large table and Hermione banished any nagging thoughts. She would try to relax for the next few hours.

Hermione took her seat, labeled with a handwritten little card in a curvaceous manuscript. To her left, at the end of the table, was her mother, to her right, Ginny, with Blaise across, Malfoy next to him, and Orion and Ella placed at the ends. "Why, isn't this perfect? We set up quite a good little party with such short time," Aediva announced with pride. Everyone nodded, pleased with their handiwork. Blaise raised his flute, filled with a shimmering gold liquid.

"I'm not terrific at toasts, which Mum reproaches me at every turn," Blaise said unabashedly, "but this is to my little sister- and no, not the gremlin at the end of the table. To Briar. We never gave you a proper welcome home, but this is for you. To spending the rest of the summer together!" Blaise exclaimed. "To Briar!" everyone said to Hermione glowing red. "And to the apology Blaise owes me after dinner!" Elladora said furiously. Everyone laughed and Hermione couldn't have been happier.

⋱⋰

Hermione almost choked when she drank from her flute. It was champagne- she was not used to alcohol, even a low content of it. At that moment, the old Lonn waddled his way to the high table, polished silver platter covered with 2 different appetizers, and the name was fit; the food looked very appetizing. With Aggie's help, food was distributed in record time and the little elf stood imperiously and in a trained voice announced the meals. "For your appetizers, we have an Asian chicken salad in crispy wonton cups and pan-seared butternut squash with balsamic and parmigiana shards."

She then popped away, presumably to help with the following courses. Everyone eagerly picked up their silverware and began to eat. Hermione sighed with content. She would never get tired of the food at the Chateau and it seemed that the others were enjoying the palatable masterpieces that Lonn produced. It tasted both like comfort and adventure; summer nights and breezy days; it told its own story through spices and flavor, a bit of persimmon juice in the butternut squash to bring out its tanginess, and a dash of sumac in the chicken to add unexpected tartness.

Everyone quickly finished and many seemed tempted to ask for more, but the promise of new varieties extinguished their qualms. Their china disappeared just as Lonn came back, carrying not one but 2 platters, dwarfing his frame. This one carried bowls of soup in colorful ceramic bowls, each levitated and gently placed in front of the guests. "Choice of a Dandelion soup in broth with falafel balls or a golden summer peach gazpacho with slices of toasted rye bread and goat cheese drizzled with lavender honey," the old elf said in a gravelly voice.

"We have to make a choice?" Hermione asked morosely. Both sounded divine. "We can share if you'd like. I'll take the dandelion, you take the peach gazpacho and we'll split," Blaise asked. Hermione's eyes lit up and she nodded. The clanking of spoons could be heard as everyone ate. Aediva chose the dandelion, Ginny the peach, Malfoy the peach, Orion the dandelion, and Ella the peach. Ella thought no one noticed as she stole a soggy falafel from Orion's soup but was given a sly look of encouragement from Ginny. Those two will be trouble, Hermione thought. She couldn't seem to mind.