XXXVII

The water was freezing. Despite the increasingly stifling heat outdoors, the lake managed to leave a shock as soon as Hermione barreled in fully clothed. She recognized that it probably wasn't a very smart decision but couldn't find it in her to care because she'd made a rash decision with a Slytherin of all people.

Draco had audibly gasped as he surfaced from the stunningly clear water, soaked to the bone and feeling the chill immediately. Hermione looked like a soggy dog and thanked her good sense for having done her hair in a plait that morning. Both teens looked at each other, unknowing what to say until Draco interrupted the silence. "Bloody fuck, it's cold," he said, teeth chattering.

Hermione gave a lilting laugh and shook her head. "You have to keep moving, you dolt. Tread water or something," she said, before dunking under the incredibly clear water and swimming further out. The sandy bottom was littered with little pebbles and some bits of algae, small silver fish flitting about. It was a scene reminiscent of the Little Mermaid, minus the tails and saltwater.

Hermione was jolted backward as a hand grabbed her ankle, and she scrambled to resurface. She spun around, eyebrows in a frown to see a smug Draco whose hair was distractingly clinging to his forehead. "That was a dick maneuver," she declared, and the boy spluttered a bit. "Who knew the golden girl cursed so much?" he replied, cheeks tinged pink. "Who knew the Slytherin prince was too afraid to swim to the deep end," Hermione taunted back.

He rolled his eyes. "Did you really call me a prince?" he asked, his face that insufferable smug moue that only he could muster, and it was Hermione's turn to blush a bit. "Yes, well, would you rather I call you a ferret? Didn't think so," she said defensively. He chuckled a bit. "Yeah, yeah, whatever, you're being no fun," he said, before unceremoniously splashing her right in the face.

Hermione of course retaliated and soon they were having a full-on splash war, attacking each other like little kids. "This... is your idea... of fun?" Hermione responded, trying to dodge getting even more water in her eyes. "Would you rather I do this?" he asked. He disappeared underwater and Hermione was momentarily puzzled before a set of rather muscled arms came round her waist and she was effortlessly hoisted into the air and thrown back into the water like a simple basketball.

She crashed into the water and momentarily lost her footing, scrambling to find air where all she could find was the pressing weight of water. Draco hoisted her out of the water, cackling with victory until he hear her heavily cough. "Are you all right?" he asked, genuinely concerned, and Hermione smiled. "I... ahem... you made me snort water into my nose," she said plaintively. Draco only laughed and she scowled at him. You're going to pay, she thought, her competitive spirit unable to let her forfeit anything she started.

Tapping into her wandless magic, Hermione levitated him into the air, much to his surprise as he shrieked like a child, before being unceremoniously dumped a little ways away. Hermione smiled as he resurfaced, properly humbled, and he swam back leisurely to a very smug witch. "Fine, fine, you win," he declared, and Hermione only grinned. Of course she did. "Alright, sorry to ruin the fun but I'm proper cold now and my trousers are fully waterlogged," he said.

So they swam to the shoreline, scampering back up to collect their shoes and wands while Hermione wrung out her hair. Draco opted for vigorously shaking his head like a dog, which made his hair stick out in every which way. Hermione really wanted to run her hands through it, especially with how his wet blond hair glittered in the sun. She mentally chastised herself after that particular thought.

The cherry on top of the whole situation was when the prat decided it was a good idea to remove his shirt. Granted, it was soaked and in find need of being wrung out, but there was magic for that. Hermione had cast a drying charm the moment she retrieved her wand, save for her hair, which would surely have been hopeless had she tried to magically dry it.