I

Breakfast was hastily finished as the group considered what to do for the day. "... we could go swimming in the pond but it hasn't been cleaned. I'm sure it's filled with a bunch of flobberworms but it shouldn't be too difficult to get rid of 'em," said Ron. "Or we could go to Diagon Alley and pay a visit to George. I'm sure he'll even let us have a discount," said Ginny. Ron grunted at that. He had tried many times and it never worked.

"We could just stay here and play quidditch," said Harry. "I'm in the mood," he added. Ron and Ginny looked at each other, shrugged, and said, "sure!" "Want to come, Hermione?" asked Ginny. "I'll join you later," she said. They all nodded comprehensively. She needed time alone and besides, she didn't really like quidditch.

The 3 of them set out for a game of quaffle, which consisted of Harry and Ginny trying to throw the quaffle into their respective hoops while Ron distracted them by zipping in front of them and stealing the quaffle. Hermione climbed up the stairs slowly, observing the white envelope that the others had forgotten about. On the front, in an intricate cursive font read a simple Hermione Granger. On the back was a gold wax that looked like hardened gold, with an intricate seal and a Lion at its head.

Hermione had never seen anything quite like it and skipped the steps by two to get to her room. She pulled her desk chair away and sat down, ripped open the letter, and pulled it out. As she read it, she began more and more confused. What was this about? As she read the last name of the person who wrote it, she stopped, stunned. What in the world?

⋱⋰

Dear Miss Granger,

I am writing you this letter because I have some news regarding you. I do not feel comfortable writing it in a letter and besides, it would be best if I told you face to face for it may come as a shock. I invite you to come to my estate today for tea where we'll be free to discuss certain matters. You may be wary of my invitation but I assure you, Miss Granger, that I mean no harm. This letter will serve as a portkey for today at 4 o'clock. It would be my honor to host you at my home.

I await your reply eagerly, Sincerely, Aediva Calliope Zabini

Hermione put the letter down and sat there, surprised. What could this be about? She didn't have a clue. And why was a Zabini sending her a letter? She knew of Blaise Zabini, the cold, over-confident, vain man who hung around Malfoy and the other Slytherins. At this point, though, Hermione was ready to forgive people for their mistakes. She knew Blaise was not a death eater, nor was their family; they felt that they were above the level of murder that the death eaters committed and had escaped unscathed due to their intact pure-blood line.

She decided she would go. After all, she would get to leave the stuffy burrow and she was intrigued as to what this Aediva had to say. Hermione's mind went on overdrive, wondering what in Godric's name she had to say. She swiftly pulled out parchment and a quill. She carefully dipped the quill in blue ink and set to writing. Once she was finished, she neatly folded the parchment, stuck it in a letter addressed to Aediva Zabini, and set a spell that made the letter fly towards its destination. She muttered the spell "Mittere destinatum" followed by "Aediva Zabini", and the letter flew toward's its destination.

⋱⋰

Lunch was served at 12 and Ginny, Ron, and Harry spent most of it acting out their games like children, talking about strategies and moves Hermione had never heard of. She just smiled and nodded, happy to see her friends so happy. Once lunch was over, Hermione announced that she had plans. "I have a few errands to run this afternoon but I'll try to be back by 6." Everyone just nodded, unassuming of her plans. Hermione was grateful that she didn't have to explain anything to them and went upstairs to "get ready".