XIV

She woke up the next morning with the sun shining on her face and a strange rummaging noise. Hermione stretched drowsily and squinted to see what the commotion was. She squeaked and sat upright. "Ella? How in the world did you get in here?" she asked. Elladora turned around, a single book taken from the pile she had scattered around herself. "Good morning to you as well. I notice you took off the charm without me, too. How kind of you," she said grumpily. 

Hermione rubbed her eyes. "Yes, I'm sorry about that. It felt like the right decision at the time..." she said. Elladora shrugged. "It's alright. You're prettier this way anyway. And to answer your question, the family can enter your room if the door is left unlocked. You may want to check on that," she warned, reading the back of the book. "Hogwarts: A History. Why d'you still have it? It's a first-year book. I didn't think somebody like you would still read it," she commented. 

Hermione rolled out of bed and sipped the glass of water she didn't remember leaving on her nightstand. "It's my favorite book," she said simply. "You should read it. I think you would enjoy it." Ella had a thoughtful expression. "Perhaps I will," she said, adding the book to a small pile. Hermione walked over and hugged her. "Good morning," she said. Elladora hugged her back with a curious expression. "You've gotten taller," she said, her voice muffled in Hermione's silk pyjamas. "And wider..." Hermione added. Ella laughed.

"What we're you doing in here, really?" Hermione asked. Ella looked down meekly. "Well, I wanted some books and since you love to read, I thought you would have some interesting things to check out. But then, when I heard you and Blaise coming from Mum's room late at night, I figured something had occurred and decided to check on you in the morning. I usually wake up bright and chipper anyway. Had quite a shock when I saw a different person sleeping in your bed, but I figured you'd gone ahead and removed the charm without me. You are Hermione, right?" she asked, just to check. "It's Briar now, but yes," she said. 

⋱⋰

Elladora sat back down, content with her answers, and began sifting through Hermione's books once again. What time is it? Hermione thought. The small clock on one of her nightstands read 9 o'clock. Hermione spun around in alarm. "It's 9 o'clock!" she exclaimed. Elladora didn't look up from her book. "And?" she said, bored. "Why, we have breakfast, don't we? I must get dressed and ready and..." She was interrupted by Ella's giggle. "Mum doesn't get out of bed until past 9 most days. Breakfast is always at 10. And there's no need to get dressed, though I s'pose mum will want us for this occasion..." she drifted off. Hermione relaxed. Breakfast was rather late, but she would get accustomed to it, like everything else at the moment.

Ella insisted that she dress Hermione up for the day, so she was stuck trying on all sorts of outfits until her capricious little sister settled on cream-colored cotton pants that flared out at the ankles and a light blue, silk spaghetti strap top ("Don't you follow fashion nowadays?" she had asked. Hermione replied with a curt "no"). Elladora had wanted to shove Hermione into a slip dress and strappy heels, which Hermione had wholeheartedly fought against. 

She had then instructed Hermione to follow a strict hair routine and proceeded to artfully pin Hermione's hair up in a half-up design, leaving her flowing curls loose down her back. Hermione felt relieved she hadn't agreed on the slip dress when Elladora resurfaced from her room in dark red overalls and a white t-shirt, her wavy hair pulled back in a haphazard ponytail. "What about the boys?" she asked Ella, who was making her way downstairs. "They're already at breakfast. Now hurry up," she said, skipping her way down. 

⋱⋰

The main floor smelled delicious, the clatter of silverware heard from the dining room's open door. They entered the light blue room and were greeted by a startled Orion. "You changed," he stated simply as Blaise said hello. Hermione nodded with a smile. "Yes, I did," she clarified. To be honest, it had not sunk in much since last night. She couldn't avoid the long hair, the change in skin tone, or the added height that made her walking feel wobbly, but she could avoid mirrors, which allowed her to forget the beautiful face that looked back at her every time.