XX

Hermione jumped and turned to see Draco Malfoy's glowering face who was slightly smiling just a second ago. "What are you doing here?" she asked aggressively. "Didn't know the library was off-limits," he said suavely, glaring at her but not breaking eye contact. Hermione was momentarily taken aback but quickly recuperated. "I didn't know you could read," she scoffed, crossing her arms.

"The brightest witch of her age? How pathetic, considering I was the one who got a higher score in Potions 6th year," the Slytherin Prince said smugly. It was Briar's turn to be smug. "Ah, yes, because a biased teacher should be trusted to give you an equitable grade." Malfoy stiffened. "Get off of your high horse, Zabini. How would your mother react if she knew this was how you treated your guest?" Draco responded, enjoying their hateful banter.

Hermione had a surprisingly sharp tongue, almost as sharp as her mind, which Malfoy did not expect. "How would your mother feel if she knew you treated your host like this? Tsk, tsk, a lady no less. I knew you stooped low, Malfoy, but I never knew you could go this low." With that, Briar turned elegantly with an insincere smile and went back to her window seat. "Gryffindors," she heard the snake mutter. It made her smile.

⋱⋰

Draco and Hermione did not cross paths for the rest of the day. Thunder crackled as they stuck to their sides of the grandiose library, Hermione on the top right level, Malfoy on the bottom left. When he left, she heard the door slam shut and hoped for his sake that nothing was broken. She didn't know what he left to do and didn't care. Her books were enough to keep her company.

When the door opened again, she had an eye roll ready and snarky comment to whip out before the bothersome Malfoy could say anything rude. "Briar?" a light voice called out. It was not Malfoy, but rather Elladora, whom she had not seen all day. Hermione jumped up and ran to the edge of the balcony, grinning at her little sister. "Ella! I haven't seen you all day!" she said happily.

The little girl grinned. "I'm coming up!" she called out, already halfway up the ladder. Ella plopped down right next to Hermione on the window seat and the older witch pulled her into a tight hug which made Ella's smile extend even more. "What have you been up to all day?" Hermione asked, releasing her. Maybe that question was a mistake- it was as if Elladora had already prepared a monologue with every single detail of her day.

She went in-depth about the plot of the book she was reading, something about a friendship between a mermaid and a pixie who rescued a trapped dragon friend (her quick rambling wasn't all too clear), and they spent an hour discussing their books. Hermione had never had a friend who truly enjoyed reading and intellectual subjects. Now she had a sister, so she let the animated rambling go on and on.

⋱⋰

"...and that's how they managed to escape the cave. Using just a water retention charm! It was brilliant, really, I couldn't believe it when I read it," Ella said as they walked into the dining room that evening. Hermione didn't even have to scan the room to know the snake was there. He was smiling with Blaise, about some joke, and when he saw Hermione's scornful glance he raised an eyebrow which made Blaise turn. "Briar! Where have you been all this time?" her brother exclaimed.

Hermione turned her wrath on Blaise. "The real question is, where were you all day?" she asked disapprovingly. "Out, doing something that's none of your business," he said, sticking his tongue out and making Malfoy chuckle. "Yes, very funny," she said, sitting down across from Orion. Orion was staring intently at a spot on the spotless tablecloth. "Orion? Are you all right?" she asked, concerned.

"He's just pouting," Blaise said. "Am not!" Orion said, his head snapping to glare at his brother, which made his eyes light up. "Hey, it's alright!" Hermione said, seeing the tiny, almost imperceptible flames lick his irises. The shy little boy was bursting with unused magic, and since magic was fueled by emotions, now was not the time to provoke him. At that moment, Aediva walked in with a parade of dishes, signifying it was time to eat.