Snore (Poe Dameron)

Prompt: "Do we have to?"

Summary: Reader and Poe have been dating for a while now, and reader's enjoying a slow start to the morning laying on their boyfriend's chest. A mandatory Resistance briefing disturbs the peace, but might just lead to a whole new chapter for the reader and Poe.

Day twenty-three of Fictober on Tumblr! And happy New Year's Eve!

****************

I slowly opened my eyes, not quite sure what had woken me up. I blinked groggily, trying to wake up enough to figure out where I was, and why I wasn't still asleep.

I had my answer in another second as a massive snore from my boyfriend Poe Dameron shook the bed.

I sighed and closed my eyes, hoping I could drift back off to sleep. It was still dark in our bedroom, and I hadn't looked at the clock, so I could shut out the rest of the world and pretend I'd never woken up. Poe's arms were wrapped around me, and I felt warm and safe under the covers as I listened to the sound of his heartbeat.

I'd almost managed to pass back out when Poe let out another monster of a snore, and I had to give up hope.

I smiled to myself. My boyfriend kept insisting he didn't snore, which was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard. We'd been having a teasing argument about it, and I made plans in my head to record his snores the next time we went to sleep to settle things once and for all.

I knew I should probably start getting up, or at least look at the clock to get a idea of just how late it was. We were members of the Resistance, after all. As nice as it was to lay here and pretend the First Order didn't exist, we couldn't stay like this for long.

Still, this was the first real break we'd had to just be together, without any other missions or stress on us, in months. I wasn't willing to give it up quite yet.

So, instead of moving, I stayed where I was and closed my eyes, focusing on Poe's breathing and the sound of his heart. His monster snores filled the room, but even that became relaxing as I focused in on the two of us just being here, together, and safe.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to stay like that for long. The next monster snore was even worse than the last, and it was loud enough that Poe managed to wake himself up.

I looked up at him from where I was snuggled against his chest, and he looked surprised. I couldn't help but burst out laughing.

"What happened?" he asked, reaching up to rub his eyes.

"You woke yourself up with a snore," I managed to say between laughs.

"Not possible," he said sleepily, looking down at me with a smile. "I don't snore."

That only made me laugh harder. Poe shook his head, but now that he was actually awake he was also grinning like an idiot. I curled back into his chest as I finally stopped laughing, sighing at how much calmer it was to listen to his breathing and his heartbeat without the snores.

Poe hummed, absent mindedly running a hand through my hair. He stopped suddenly, so I looked up at him to figure out why. He was staring at something on our bedside table, and I followed his gaze to the clock. It was just after nine in the morning, and my heart sank as I processed that.

"We have to get to our briefing with Leia and everyone else," said Poe, voicing what I was already thinking. I just sighed heavily and buried my face in his chest again.

"Do we have to?" I groaned. "I just want to stay here like this forever."

"Forever, huh?" asked Poe, running his hand through my hair again. His tone was casual, but I felt him tense up a little under me.

"Forever," I repeated decisively. We hadn't really talked much about our futures, since being in the Resistance meant we might not have one, but I knew that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with Poe if I had the chance. Maybe one day we'd even get to spend a normal morning like this, without having to rush off to a briefing with the general.

"I gotta say, I'm glad to hear you say that," he said, shifting me off of his chest and moving towards the side of the bed. I groaned in complaint, but he ignored me. I heard a drawer open, and then Poe shifted again, turning to face me. "Because I've been thinking the same thing."

I popped my head up curiously and found Poe propped up on one arm, staring at me with an adorable puppy dog look. In his hands was a small velvet box.

I gasped as soon as I caught sight of it.

"Is that...?"

Poe popped open the box as an answer, and a small, gorgeous ring sat inside. My hands flew to my mouth and I sat up a little, looking at Poe through the tears starting to form in my eyes.

"Y/N... you are the love of my life. I know we've never talked much about our futures, since we don't even know if we'll have one with the Resistance, but... well, whatever my future holds, I know I want you to be in it."

I couldn't hold back a sob now, and I didn't let Poe finish before I surged forward and kissed him as hard as I could. The tears were falling down my face now, but I ignored them as I kissed the love of my life and he kissed me back.

Poe was the one to pull away, smiling and laughing as he did.

"You know, that wasn't the end of my speech," he teased.

"I know, I just... I needed to do that."

"Hey, I'm never gonna complain about you kissing me," he said, leaning back in and kissing me one more time. After another few seconds he leaned away, holding the ring box up in between us. "Now, as I was saying. I want you to be in my future no matter what, and based on your reaction, I'm thinking you feel the same way. So, Y/N Y/L/N, would you do me the honor of making me the happiest man alive and marry me?"

"Hell yes," I said, still crying as I leaned forward to kiss Poe again. We pulled apart and he slipped the ring on my finger, and then we went right back to kissing. I rolled over and pulled Poe on top of me, but we broke apart after another minute.

"I wish I didn't have to say this, but we really need to get to that briefing now," he said.

"Poe," I whined, running my hands through his hair and trying to get him to kiss me again. He was strong enough to resist, which would probably be good for both of us in the long run but was seriously disappointing now.

"C'mon, babe. We can celebrate tonight." I still wasn't moving, so Poe kept going. "You know, we have a great way to make this meeting fun."

"How?" I asked, raising an eyebrow suspiciously.

"We need to let our friends know that we're engaged, and we have all briefing to come up with new and creative ways to do it."

A smile slowly spread across my face and the gears started turning in my head.

"Dameron, I like the way you think." Poe grinned, then rolled out of bed. I followed him, starting to brainstorm as we got dressed. "Okay, so I'm thinking we start by just hovering around them and seeing how long it takes them to notice. Like, if I hand Finn a blaster and high-five him and have him look at my nails and stuff, how long do you think it would be before he saw it?"

"I think Finn'll get it pretty quick, especially if you try to make it obvious," wagered Poe. "I think it's Ray that's gonna take a while."

"What about the general?"

We were both dressed at this point, and we stopped just before the door to look at each other with matching grins.

"I guess we're just gonna have to see, aren't we?"

"I guess so." I took his hand, then followed him out the door of our quarters. I'd still rather be in bed with the love of my life, but teaming up with him to prank our closest friends was a pretty good second option.

I couldn't wait to spend the rest of my life with Poe Dameron, crazy snores and all.