The Best Kind Of Crazy (Padme Amidala)

Written for Fictober 2023 Day 16 on Tumblr!

Summary: Y/N's been captured by Separatists, seemingly with no hope of escape. That is, until Padmé Amidala gets captured too. Especially since she's never been one to sit around in a cell waiting for rescue.

Prompt: "Do you know a way out of here?"

****************

I stared, eyes narrowed, watching the woman laying on the floor a few feet from me. She'd been thrown into this cell with me a few minutes ago, and the longer I looked at her, the more confident I became that she was Senator Padmé Amidala.

How she had ended up in a Separatist prison cell was beyond me, but it definitely wasn't good. I was a relatively low-ranking military strategist, and they'd had to go through an armed envoy to get to me.

My attention had just started to wander again when Senator Amidala stirred. She stretched as much as she could in handcuffs, then shot up into a sitting position, eyes wide, when she realized where she was. Her gaze darted from her handcuffs to the cell door to me, and then she narrowed her eyes as her gaze stayed on me.

"Who are you?" she demanded. I gave her a small smile and raised one hand in a little wave. At least, I tried to just wave with one hand, but thanks to my handcuffs it ended up being two-handed.

"Y/N Y/L/N," I said. "Low-ranking GAR strategist and trainee liaison to the Jedi."

She nodded, visibly relaxing when she realized I wouldn't be a threat to her.

"I'm Senator Amidala, but you can call me Padmé," she said with a sigh as she got to her feet. She quickly scanned the room again, then turned back to me. "Do you know a way out of here?"

I huffed a small laugh. "Sorry, no. If I did, I wouldn't have still been sitting here when you arrived."

Padmé nodded, looking a little distracted as her gaze wandered away from me. I obviously didn't know her very well, but I could see the gears turning in her head as she thought.

I just leaned back against the well where I sat, watching Padmé. I'd been going stir crazy for the day I'd been in this cell, and if Padmé wanted to run around kicking the walls, then I would gladly take the distraction from the nothingness.

I was about to make a comment about how unlikely I thought escape would be without help when Padmé reached up and pulled a pin out of her hair. I frowned, curious, as she crossed the room to stand in front of me.

"Hold out your hands, please."

I just watched her for a minute, trying to make sense of the strange request, then complied. What did I have to lose?

Padmé used one hand to grab my cuffs and hold them steady, then started working on the lock with her hairpin with the other. A second later, I heard a click, and they popped open.

I looked up at Padmé in awe as the cuffs dropped from my wrists to the floor. She took my hand and shoved the hairpin into it, then held out her own cuffs to me.

"Come on, we don't have much time. I'll talk you through how to do it."

I just blinked at her for a second, then jumped into action.

"That was... incredible," I said as I worked. A small smile quirked up at the corner of her mouth.

"Thank you. Now, focus on feeling the tumblers of the lock. We have to hurry."

It took me MUCH longer than it had taken Padmé, but after a few minutes, the lock on her handcuffs popped open. Padmé had stayed calm and patient the whole time she'd been talking me through the lock picking, and now she quickly shed her cuffs and took the hairpin back. She went over to the cell door, looking both ways before pressing her back against the wall where the door would normally come to rest if it opened.