Love (Obi-Wan Kenobi)

Prompt: "Just say it."

Summary: Reader is a Jedi, and has been on the front lines with the rest of the Order throughout the Clone Wars. They've gotten to be close with Padme and best friends with Anakin, to the point where Anakin trusted reader with the secret of his marriage to Padme and their soon-to-be-expanded family. Reader also got close with Obi-Wan, in a different way than all the others, but out of respect for the Order neither of them explored those possibilities. Everything comes to a grinding halt with Order 66. Reader was with the 212th when Cody got the word from Palpatine, and they barely made it out with their life. Now, after Padme's funeral and with the whole world falling apart, the reader might just find a new light to keep holding on to with darkness closing in from all sides.

Day Thirty of Fictober on Tumblr!

****************

"Obi-Wan!" I screamed, running down the familiar hallways of the Nabooian palace. They were dark and silent, my pounding footsteps echoing around the walls in the absence of the laughter and light that were usually present.

A light that might never return to this place.

"Obi-Wan! Where are you?" My voice was raw, and the words hurt as they left my throat. Tears burned at my eyes, but I tried to force them back as I focused on my breathing. I was a Jedi. I was not supposed to fall apart, no matter the circumstances.

I finally shoved open the double doors leading out to the back of the palace, an evening wind smacking me in the face. The doors led out onto a landing pad where a spaceship sat. The ramp was down, and I found Obi-Wan standing at the base of it, staring at me.

Waiting.

"Obi-Wan," I breathed, the tears threatening to overflow now as I reached him. I came to a jerking stop in front of him, the sorrow in his blue eyes almost knocking me flat. "What... what happened?"

He sighed and took his eyes off me for the first time since I'd made it outside.

"How much do you already know?" he asked, his voice miraculously calm.

"I know that Cody almost killed me," I choked out, the tears finally beginning to fall. "I know I couldn't reach you, or Ani, or anyone else, and I know that I walked onto my ship after fighting for my life against friends to see a cordial summons to the funeral of Padme Amidala."

Something inside me broke as I forced those words to come. Waves of grief for my fallen friends broke over me one after another, and the darkness started to close in on me from all sides.

I started shaking my head, and then I couldn't seem to stop. I was falling, falling, falling, with no end in sight-

"Y/N."

A pair of warm, steady hands landed on my shoulders. The contact worked like an anchor, and slowly, I felt the claws of that darkness recede. They were still there, still circling the outskirts of my mind, but they'd been pushed back to a manageable level.

I looked up and came back to my senses as I locked eyes with Obi-Wan.

"Y/N," he repeated. "I need you to hold on."

I nodded, barely able to muster the movement. I could feel Obi-Wan's intense sorrow through the Force, but even stronger than that was his determination to pull through. For me, and for...

"Their child survived?" I breathed, barely daring to voice the words in case I was wrong. I reached out through the Force and received a definitive answer before Obi-Wan said it; I could feel another life force on board the ship, its signature heartbreakingly similar to Padme's and Anakin's.