Error, Flight Not Possible (Poe Dameron)

Written for Fictober 2022 on Tumblr!

Prompt: "Check that again, are you sure?"

Summary: A short little fic about Poe and Y/N, established couple, spending time fixing an X-Wing together. Just a little fic of adorable domestic fluff and teasing.

****************

"Alright, just one more little tweak..."

I chuckled to myself as my boyfriend shifted around under his X-Wing, tinkering with the engine to try to get it back up and running. I popped another piece of popcorn in my mouth and glanced down at the datapad by my side, waiting for any sign of a change.

I heard a pop, and Poe grunted as he twisted the wrench in his hands for all he was worth. His X-Wing had been pretty beaten up in his latest dogfight, so badly that it needed some serious work to get up and flying again. Poe had been working on it all afternoon, trying to fix the problems. I'd been providing moral support.

"Okay! Let's give this another try."

Poe put together a few wires underneath the ship and started her up, and the engines flared and spluttered to life. He rolled out from under the ship and looked at me hopefully as I turned to examine the datapad.

"Mmm it's still saying Error, Flight Not Possible."

"What? No!" he cried, throwing his hands up in frustration. "Check that again, are you sure?"

"Yeah, sorry babe," I said, my eyes scanning the datapad one last time before turning back to my boyfriend. I gave him a sympathetic smile. "It's still not working."

"Dammit all to MUSTAFAR."

Poe ducked back under the X-Wing, but I couldn't hold back a laugh at my boyfriend's frustration. He quickly reappeared and fixed me with an incredulous look and a raised eyebrow.

"Seriously? Aren't you supposed to be supporting me right now?"

I gave him a guilty smile. "Sorry babe. It's just... it feels like you should, I don't know. Call a mechanic? Like, a real one? Who works on ships as their primary job, not just as a hobby?"

"Oh, so you have no faith in me. That's what this is about." Poe whined, playing up the drama as he rolled back under the ship. "I see how it is. I never expected you to be the one doubting me, but the more doubters there are, the more people I have to show up!"

I giggled again and stood from my chair, picking up the datapad and heading over to Poe. I crouched down on the shop floor next to him, then pulled over another rolling thing like the one Poe was laying on to work on the ship. I got as comfortable as I could, then rolled under the ship to lay right next to him, close enough that our arms were brushing.

"This is crowded and horrible, and I'm gonna get a bunch of oil on my clothes and in my hair," I announced. Poe turned his head to grin at me, his hair a mess and his face covered in sweat, and I felt my heart speed up a bit.

"That's hot," he said. I laughed and punched him in the arm, and he chuckled as he rolled a few inches away from me from the force. He wasted no time scooting back towards me, pulling my wheely-thing even closer to his with the hand that wasn't holding the wrench.

He leaned towards me, shifting onto his side in the already-cramped space. He had just enough room to turn over, his shoulder brushing the underside of the ship as he did, until he was completely facing me.

"Thank you for joining me down here, my gorgeous moral support," he said with a grin. I huffed and faked annoyance, but couldn't keep a smile off my own face for long.

"Anytime, flyboy. Although I still say you should call a mechanic."

Poe hummed and leaned towards me, steadily eliminating the remaining distance between us. I pulled back slightly, wrinkling my nose at how dirty and sweaty he was. He came to a stop, his mouth dropping open in exaggerated offense, so I sighed.

"Alright, fine. Don't be so dramatic."

He grinned as I reached up and threaded my hand through his hair, pulling him the rest of the way towards me. Our lips met, and just like I thought, Poe tasted like sweat and oil. Still, he was warm and sweet, and as he dropped the wrench and shifted his now-free hand to my waist, I absolutely melted in the comfortable embrace of my boyfriend. I loved him more than anyone or anything in the world, and especially with all the danger and uncertainty that came along with the Resistance, I'd take every second of time I could get with him.

Even if that meant making out under an X-Wing in a tight, hot, dirty space.

"Poe," I muttered, pulling back just slightly as Poe moved to deepen the kiss.

"Yeah, Y/N?" he breathed, nuzzling into the crook between my shoulder and neck and leaving a trail of kisses there.

"I love you so, so much-"

"I love you too."

"But I think we should go back to fixing the ship so we can get the hell out of here as soon as possible."

Poe sighed heavily, then pulled away from me.

"Fine. All the more incentive for me to finish this quickly, I guess. So we can get back to what we were doing a minute ago."

"After you take a shower."

"You know, you could always take a shower wi-"

"Poe!"

"Fine! Fixing the ship."

Poe picked his wrench back up and resumed his tinkering, and I took the opportunity to stare at him with absolutely no shame. A smile slowly rose to my face as I watched him work, and my heart swelled with love. I'd lay under a hundred X-Wings in a million terrible different locations and environments if it meant getting to spend more time with him.

He was the love of my life, after all. And every time it felt a little too hard to keep fighting and a little too easy to quit, he kept me going. No matter how much we teased each other, we were a dream team, through and through.