Take A Break (Anakin Skywalker)

Prompt: "Give me that."

Summary: Reader's working on a trade bill for the senate, but they keep getting interrupted by their boyfriend. Anakin Skywalker is on a rare break from the front lines of the Clone Wars, and all he wants to do is spend time with the person he loves. Fortunately for him (and unfortunately for reader's ability to be productive), he's very persuasive (and persistent).

Day Twenty-Seven of Fictober on Tumblr!

****************

"The Republic asks the senators of Naboo and Alderaan to take this trade bill back to their homeworlds and present it to the planetary leaders for aprroval... blah blah blah... it is imperative that we have full cooperation from multiple worlds in order to achieve the most success... no, I don't like that."

I hunched over the datapad as I erased the words I'd been writing, going back to rework them. I was muttering to myself in my office like a crazy person, but I needed to make sure this bill I was proposing sounded right. Padme and Bail were both counting on me to word it well enough to get it past the senate and their planetary rulers.

"Alright, alright... in order to... maximize the benefits of trade for everyone involved... yeah, I like that..."

"Y/N."

I didn't even look up at the sound of Anakin's voice. He had some rare time off from flying around the galaxy fighting Separatists, and my wonderful boyfriend wanted to spend that time with me. Unfortunately, I couldn't do anything until this bill got done, which meant he was just sitting in one of the chairs of my office listening to me mutter like a crazy person.

"The senate, of course, will defend the new trade routes against attacks from Separatists and pirates alike..."

"Y/N."

"And in the event of any lost property..."

"Y/N."

"...the senate will focus on cooperation between worlds..."

"Y/N!"

I snapped my head up to look at Anakin, expecting to see some threat in the room, or at least something interesting that would warrant my boyfriend yelling. Instead, I found nothing but Anakin standing in front of me. He smiled when I looked up at him, but the smile quickly fell off his face when he realized I was glaring.

"What, Anakin?"

"I, uh... I wanted to see if you wanted to take a break."

I blinked a few times.

"Ani, do I look like I want to take a break?"

"Well, I don't know. You're hunched over your desk and you look like you're about to start tearing your hair out, so it might not be the worst idea."

I sighed heavily and slumped back in my chair, trying to rub the sleep out of my eyes. Anakin was right; I was exhausted from all the work I'd been doing on this bill. But I couldn't stop until it was finished.

"Sorry, Ani, but I can't take a break until it's done," I said with a sigh before going back to the pages. I started reading again, but Anakin cut me off by coming to lean on my desk right next to me.

"I'm here on a rare break from my time with the Jedi. Obi-Wan is out of the system, and so is Ahsoka. This is the first chance we've had to spend some real alone time together in almost a year."

"I know, babe, I know. And I'm sorry, but I have to get this done. As soon as I finish, I'm all yours, I promise."

Anakin pushed off the desk and didn't say anything else, so I thought that was it. I went back to pouring over the bill in peace, until suddenly, the datapad wasn't in front of me anymore.

I blinked a few times, trying to figure out where it went. I looked to my right to see Anakin holding it and giving me a teasing look.

"Give me that," I said tiredly, holding out my hand for the datapad.

"No chance. Not until you take a break and spend some time with your loving boyfriend."

"Anakin," I sighed as I stood and reached for the datapad, but Anakin lifted it over his head and out of my reach. "Sweetheart, I love you, and I want to spend time with you, but I need to finish this first."

"No, you need to take a break. You'll still have plenty of time to tear your hair out over this before it's due."

"Anakin." I scowled, but he just grinned back at me. I sighed, pretended to relax, then jumped and tried to grab the datapad out of Anakin's hands. Unfortunately for me he was a Jedi, which meant he had better reflexes.

"Nice try Y/N," he teased, still holding the datapad high.

"You know, I think it's interesting that you don't think I can get to that datapad," I said, putting my hands on my hips.

"You'd have to jump awfully high to get it."

"That's not what I meant."

I saw a look of confusion flash across Anakin's face, and then I rushed towards him, tackling him and my datapad to the ground.

As soon as we landed, I reached for my pad, which had flown out of Anakin's hands. He wrapped his arms around my waist before I could get very far, quickly rolling over so my back was on the ground and he was hovering over me.

"You know, you pack more of a punch than you look like you would," he said, giving me that trademark grin that I'd fallen in love with.

"Damn right I do. And I'm gonna give you another example if you don't let me finish my work."

Anakin just hummed and slowly leaned down, getting his face steadily closer to mine.

"You might be good at tackling, but I'm good at distracting."

"There's no denying that."

With that, Anakin closed the rest of the distance between us. I didn't protest when we started kissing, instead tangling my hand in his hair and using my free hand to pull him closer. A tiny voice in the back of my head was screaming at me to go back to my work, but it got quieter and quieter the longer Anakin kissed me.

"I need to finish that bill..." I said, barely even meaning it as Anakin moved to kiss my neck.

"You can finish it later. After you take a break with your boyfriend."

"Somehow, I think you might actually be winning with that argument, even though it's been the same argument this whole time."

Anakin smiled and let out a small laugh. He lifted his head to look at me, our eyes meeting again. I could see the love written all over my his face, and it made my heart soar. Even with the work I still had to do, there was really nowhere else in the world I would choose to be.

"I love you, Ani," I whispered, trying to make sure with my eyes and tone that he believed it.

"I love you too, Y/N."

He smiled, then leaned down to kiss me again. The voice in my head finally shut all the way up, and I gave in to the idea of taking a break, letting myself get lost in the man I loved.

After all, I needed a little distraction if I wanted any hope of writing a bill that didn't sound like garbage. And Anakin was the best distraction I could think of.