Chapter 11

I'm so sorry for the long wait, thank you for being patient. This chapter is really short and hopefully I'll be able to make the next chapter longer. As always, enjoy.

Evangeline's POV

It was hard to get up. Everything hurt so much, the floor doesn't really provide any comfort or any momentary relief. I put my hands onto the cold wooden floor in order to push myself up, grunting softly as my body screams out it's protest. 

I try to move quickly but nothing seems to be cooperating, only letting me move sluggishly towards my small bundle of belongings. I try to change into my clothes but I can barely reach my hands over my head in order to put on my shirt. 

By the time I do manage to change I'm breathing heavily and there's sweat that falls down my face for the exertion. I dread the walk to school, my siblings all younger than me so there's no chance of my parents driving me. I slowly bend down to grab my backpack and almost let out a whimper. 

I slowly walk down from the attic and focus on each step that I take instead of the pain of my movements. 

When I reach downstairs I look for any signs that anyone might be awake, when I find none I move as well as I'm able to make it out the front door. I try to make my steps light so that my shoes don't clack against the floor. I try to level out my breathing so that it doesn't echo about the room. When I get to the door I look around one more time and stand as still as i can in that moment so that I could hear if anyone was coming down the stairs. 

I slowly breathe out a sigh of relief and unlock the door as gently as I can, holding off just before it clicks and twist the knob so that if they do make a sound, it's together. 

Just as I'm about to open the door I hear footsteps from upstairs and hurriedly I twist the lock the rest of the way and open the door, quickly stepping out and softly closing it behind me. 

They'll most likely be angry that I left before they could get their hands on me again but I suppose that's a problem for later.

I made my way outside of the gate and latched it behind me before making my way to school. The sun just barley beginning to rise, bringing the slightest color into the sky, the morning breeze had a biting chill as it nipped at my face.

Every step was painful and I was only getting harder to breathe. But I continued to walk while the sun made it's trek across the sky. 

I briefly wondered how Alexandra knew where I lived, I'm not friends with anyone so she sure as hell wouldn't have known - couldn't have found out. She could have gotten that information from my teachers just as she had brought over the homework.

It was possible. But why? Why would she go through all that trouble? What did she want from me?

There is nothing that I can give her.