Chapter 9

Evangeline's POV

I was shocked by Alexandra's visit and the whole time we did go over the class work that I had missed that day.

She asked a bunch of questions, out loud and in sign language.

I just can't believe that she knows sign language.

When did she learn that?

I tried to explain what we were doing, walking her through the math problems that she was struggling with, helping her understand the steps.

The female head of the house hold made sure to walk in the kitchen to get something or start picking up the living room and Alexandra made sure to speak during those times.

I dreaded the moment that she left, we finished the assignments and she started to pack up her things.

My mom was gone for the moment and we both stood. I had more trouble with getting up than she did. I was good at hiding pain though, it was like a second nature.

Her things were packed and we both stared at each other, though for different reasons.

Will I see you tomorrow? She signed.

I stare at her hands as they fall from the air.

I don't know what to respond.

She did come all this way to give me my homework. I don't want her coming over again though, I don't want her near my family.

Yes, I finally sign.

She had an expression of worry, "Did your parents take you to the doctor at least? To get your ribs checked?"

I looked at her cautiously as I signed, They've been wrapped and I've been icing that area.

I purposefully left out certain details, like I had been the one to wrap them and I, alone, am the one tending to my injuries. 

She seems to take my statement as a confirmation as a wide smile takes over her face and she looks around for a moment before asking, "Can I hug you?"

I'm surprised at her request, I haven't exactly been hugged in a while.

At my hesitance, panic covers her face but before she can blubber out some apology, I ask, Gently?

Her face shows relief and she nods, stepping forward so her arms go over my shoulders and brings my head towards her chest.

I don't know what to do with my arms so they stay by my sides. It feels stiff and awkward but....

Warm.

We stand like that for a quick moment. She does hug me as she said she would, gently.

She lets go and I'm cold again.

She smiles at me and starts putting her backpack on and my mom choose that moment to come back to the kitchen, I'm just glad that she didn't come in a couple seconds beforehand.

She sees Alexandra ready to leave and adopts a polite attitude.

"Oh leaving already? Did you girls get your homework done?"

With a smile on her face, Alexandra replies, "Yes ma'am, thank you for letting me come over unannounced, I really needed the help."

My mother keeps up her façade, "Of course! You're always welcome, don't be a stranger."

Honey might be coming out of her mouth but all I hear are wasps ready to sting without a moments notice.

Alexandra doesn't notice, "Thank you ma'am, I'll definitely take you up on that." She turns to me, "See you tomorrow, Evangeline."

With that my mother walks her to the door and she thanks her again on the way out.

My mother closes the door and turns to me as if she's been lit on fire.

"I see that you've made a friend, how wonderful."

I stay in place as her words drip with a chilling sarcasm. If I move, if I run - it'll just be worse.

"Why don't you tell me how you two met?"

A familiar feeling comes over me, a tickle in the back of my mind, one that persuades me to step into the safe corner of my mind and coaxes itself to stand in the light.

I let darkness take over.

Again.