• thirty-six •

After confirming to Blaise that they were going to come for dinner, Corben headed to Harry's.

It was the weekend and thus, he had a day off from his training. He had been cooped in his room all day, revising stealth techniques for the short quizzes that Audra held almost every day, and was quite looking forward to having dinner with bis brother and boyfriend. When Harry phoned him to ask whether he should wear formal or informal, he decided to go over.

Harry was pouring over some sheets of paper and taking notes with a pen. He tilted his head a little to smile at Corben and returned to whatever he was doing. Not wishing to bother him, Corben stood by and observed.

The edges of Harry's table were neat, stacked with books and folders. The middle, however, was strewn with every imaginable thing. Aside from his work things, there were coffee cups - two of them! -, along with a jar of biscuits, numerous Chocolate Frog Cards, candy wrappers, a golden snitch, and, on a narrow pen-holder was the quill that Corben had given him for Christmas.

He picked up the quill. It wasn't a functional one - merely for decoration purposes. The shaft was golden and sturdy, inflexible. "I thought you'd keep this in your office," he said.

Harry turned from his work to pass a glance at the quill. "I did. But I have a tendency of hurling things into the wall when I'm there so I brought it back." He smiled at Corben. "And I like my own table more."

Corben returned the quill to its place. "Oh?" he asked with a mischievous smile. "How many things of yours have you thrown into the wall?"

"Quite a lot."

Harry sighed, shoving the papers carelessly away from him, as though he wanted to be as far away from them as possible. Corben decided that that was exactly the reason.

"What are you doing?"

"Looking through Auror applications." Harry stood and turned his back on the table. He climbed into his bed and beckoned Corben to sit with him.

"This many?" Corben asked incredulously as he joined Harry and took his hands. "I thought you guys only took a handful of Aurors every year."

Harry smiled softly. Corben's hand was between his fingers and he watched it as closely as though it was something precious and invaluable. Corben felt warmth in his cheeks. "That doesn't stop people from applying."

"Are they bad?"

"Most of them, yes." Harry yawned, as though just thinking about Auror applications bored him to death. "You'd be shocked to know how many people are absolutely clueless and still act entitled to the job. You'd think they come from royalty, the way they act as though we would be honoured to have them in our midst."

Corben laughed before a thought struck him and he stopped. "So did you also look through my application like this and judge me?"

"I wish," Harry smirked. He rubbed his thumb over the palm of Corben's hand, sending tingles shooting through his palm. "No, I started doing this very recently. I've sort of shifted from practical to paperwork."

"Oh. Why?"

Harry dropped his gaze guiltily. "I don't know."

Despite the questions bubbling in his gut, Corben decided to let go of the matter. He scooted toward him. "I visited Theo yesterday."

"Is he doing okay?"

"I think so." Corben chewed his lips uncertainly. "He seems happy. I think he feels lonely though."

Harry nodded. "Do you want to know what I did yesterday?"

"Yes."

Harry let go of Corben's hands and folded his arms around his stomach. His eyes clouded over all of a sudden. "I yelled at Ron and Hermione."