• twenty two •

Harry peeked into the training hall to look for Corben, but he was surprised to see only Audra and two of the other trainees. He presumed that perhaps Corben was in the toilet, so he waited outside for a while, but when he returned ten minutes later, Corben was still nowhere in sight.

Giving up, he went back to the Auror office, where his fellow Aurors were leaning over a table. He considered joining them, but found himself uninterested, and eventually left to his own room.

The day dragged on excruciatingly slowly. At other times, he would sneak Corben out of the training hall if he got bored, but he seemed to have skipped his training today. For a moment, he wondered if anything was wrong, for Corben had seemed adamant about catching up with his training. But his thoughts were interrupted by Ron, who knocked on his door and entered.

"Why aren't you in the office?" he asked as he sat down opposite Harry. "I've been looking for you."

Harry smiled slightly in greeting. "Hey. I wasn't feeling good."

"You haven't been feeling good for weeks," observed Ron, frowning. "Did you consider taking a few days off?"

"There's no need," Harry shook his head. "I'm just tired. I don't need a day off."

Ron looked like he wanted to argue, but eventually thought better of it and stopped questioning him. Instead, he suddenly perked up as though remembering something, and said, "I'm thinking of buying a cell phone. What do you think?"

"Not a bad idea," said Harry. "But you realise it won't work inside the Ministry building, don't you?"

"Well, it's not like I spend all day here," said Ron, sounding more and more excited every passing second. "I told Hermione, and she said that she will buy one too."

"Well, obviously. How else will you use your phone then?"

"I should get one for Dad, too," he said thoughtfully. "He'll love it, though I reckon Mum would think it would be a waste of money. It's true though – Dad would just open it up and imbue it with magic rather than use it properly."

Harry listened silently as Ron continued speaking. He was grateful that he has skipped work to keep him company, although he wondered how their Head might react if he found the both of them chatting away about a muggle device.

When he reached home, he immediately went to his telephone and dialled Corben's number. He didn't take long to answer.

"Hey. Why didn't you go to training today?"

"I did," he answered. His voice drawled and he sounded worn out. "I was – Audra took us outside for fieldwork and – and I passed out."

"Merlin, what happened? How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine. We got back to the Ministry and I rested for a while before coming home."

"Do you want me to come over?" Harry offered. His fingers twirled the cable of the phone absently. Corben was silent for a second before answering.

"No. It's fine."

Harry didn't press him.

"Do you know?" Corben spoke a few seconds later. "I don't think I'm fit to be an Auror. Mrs Weasley was right."

"Molly?" Harry frowned. "What did she say?"

"She told me that if I don't eat properly, I cannot be an Auror –"

"She didn't mean it that way, Corben," Harry assured him. "She was just concerned about your health. She is like that to everyone. When I began visiting the Burrow, she used to fuss over my health too." He paused. When Corben didn't respond, he continued speaking, "Listen. You have been working too hard. It's normal to pass out during Auror training. Don't worry about it. Besides, I told you I'm going to teach you a few things myself, didn't I? You'll catch up, don't worry. In the meantime, continue what you are doing, drink water, work hard. You will become an Auror one day, I have faith in you."