• four •

The TV in the living room was turned on, but Harry saw nothing much of what was going on behind the screen. His thoughts were fogging his mind, and nothing could reach his brain. He kept tapping the remote control over his knee, the jerky motion helping him to focus. A few more minutes passed and Ginny entered the room, sitting down beside him on the sofa.

"When did you come here?" he asked her.

"Yesterday morning," answered Ginny. "I –" she began, but stopped, seemingly deciding not to let her thoughts be voiced out. Changing track, she said instead, "Is Ron still being a prick to you?"

Despite the tension building up inside him, a bubble of laughter emerged from his mouth. He relaxed and shifted, so that he was facing Ginny. She did the same. "He will get over it," he waved his hand dismissively. "He always does."

But Ginny didn't seem so ready to forgive her brother. "It makes me angry when he blames you for any argument between us. Why does he even need to interfere? We –"

"Ginny," he said with a smile, placing a hand over hers. "It's not him we're here to talk about, is it?"

She sighed. "No."

Silence fell over them.

Harry turned off the TV and began twisting his fingers together, feeling suddenly uncomfortable. He wished Ginny would say something.

"What do you want to do?" he finally asked.

She stared at him for a moment and answered his question, straightforward as always. "I want to take a break."

He ignored the sinking feeling inside him. "Break?" he repeated hollowly.

"Just give me some time," she said, squeezing her eyes shut. "I don't think I want to be in a relationship right now. I don't think I can. I have to go on tours, practices, and I just need time to figure everything out."

He ran his tongue over his lip – his mouth seemed to have dried up. But when he spoke, his voice was firm. "No." Ginny looked up at him in surprise. "We've been ignoring this for too long. I believe it's time we come to a decision." He inhaled a deep breath, feeling as though his energy was slowly ebbing away. "Have you got tired of our relationship?"

Ginny looked shocked. "Merlin, no!" she exclaimed, and Harry could believe that she was sincere. "I would never. I lo– I really like you, Harry, I wouldn't grow tired of you. It's just –" she waved her arms around in frustration, looking like she was searching for the right words. Finally, she dropped her arms into her lap and sank, shoulders drooping and head low. "Okay," she breathed. "I – I will be honest with you. But it will hurt you, and I don't want to hurt you, but I have to –"

"Ginny," he interrupted her, and ignoring the terrified feeling that has suddenly erupted inside him, he said, "Please be honest. I can take it."

She locked eyes with him and stared at him for a long time, as though considering whether to talk or just leave. Harry's heart beat rapidly inside his chest, fearing what she was going to say, but he didn't let it show it on his face.

"I –" she finally began, "– I don't think I'm the right person for you, Harry."

"What do you mean?" he found himself asking, his voice as hollow as his insides.

"We are different. I know what people say about opposites attract, but it's not as simple as that. You have to be compatible if you're different and we're not."

Harry remained silent and waited for her to continue.

"We want different things," she explained, her voice a hoarse whisper. "We like different things. We have different plans for the future. And I don't like this any more than you do, Harry, but these differences won't get us anywhere." She paused to gaze at him. "I want you to be happy. And I don't think I can give you that."