• forty-one •

On the third day of his study leave, Corben decided to take a break.

Harry, who had been sprawled on the sofa reading the Witch Weekly, squinted at him with suspicion clear in his eyes when Corben broke the news. He reached out a hand and pressed it to Corben's forehead. "Are you ill?"

Corben swatted away the hand and pushed Harry's legs off the sofa to make room for himself. Harry's suspicious glare remained fixed on his face, making him feel guilty of crimes he had never even imagined committing. "I'm not ill," he said, a tad defensively. "I'm ahead of my schedule and I think I can afford some time off."

The look that had been boring into Corben finally slipped off as Harry's lips quirked into a smile. "Okay. Good. What do you want to do?"

"I was thinking of checking up on Blaise. And then we can watch a movie together."

Harry's eyebrows disappeared into his dark hair. "Two movies in one week?" he exclaimed disbelievingly. "Are you sure you're okay, Corben?"

Huffing, Corben punched Harry in the ribs - very lightly, of course - and leaned into him. Harry immediately took him into his arms and snuggled him close. "I'm trying to be more attentive to you, okay? Please don't make fun of me."

"I'm not making fun of you," Harry said, though Corben could hear the laughter in his voice. Nevertheless, he wound his arms around Harry's waist, relishing in the momentary peace as Harry kissed his forehead. "I'll look for new movies while you visit Blaise."

Corben peered up at Harry, frowning. "No. You're going with me."

Harry looked surprised at the suggestion but he smiled. "If you say so."

They would have arrived at Blaise's place within twenty minutes had they not fallen into a debate of whether or not they should get a present for Blaise. Corben, never having given Blaise any presents was bewildered by the idea whilst Harry insisted that since Blaise was probably lonely he would appreciate a small gift. Still unable to wrap his head around the idea, Corben extracted a t-shirt he has never worn and showed it to Harry who burst into hurtful peals of laughter.

"That's not a gift, Corben!" he exclaimed, clutching his stomach as he doubled over.

"Why do I even need to give him something?" Corben exclaimed even louder. "It isn't like I'm seeing him after ten years. I spoke to him last night."

Harry sputtered to a stop and held him gently by the shoulders. "It doesn't matter why you're giving him a present. He's sad and he misses Theo and if you bring him something nice it might make him feel better."

Corben nodded. He couldn't argue with that. "But what do I give him?"

Thus ensued another debate. In the end, they cooked a hearty meal and Corben chose a book from his shelf. With the food packed in an airtight container to keep it warm, they apparated to Blaise's apartment.

"This was actually not a bad idea," said Corben as they stood waiting for Blaise to open the door. "He'll be happy I'm sure."

"I told you," Harry said just as the door swung open in front of them. But instead of seeing Blaise as they'd expected to, they found Theo on the other side, a slow grin growing on his face. Corben could barely open his mouth to utter something before he was pulled into an enormous hug.

"Th-Theo, I didn't expect to see you here."

Theo let go of him and his eyes flitted down to his hands. "Did you bring food?"

"Uh - yes."

"Sweet." He grabbed the container and ushered them in with a, "Hello, Harry."

Blaise had come out to the hall to greet them though he lacked any grin Theo had shown. Corben did notice a faint darkness in his cheeks as though he'd been caught doing something criminal. A hundred questions buzzed inside Corben's head but with Theo humming and fussing around with the container and leading them to the sofa to settle down, none of them managed to slip past his lips.