• forty-four •

The more the time passed, the quieter Corben grew. They had perused most of the Daily Prophets and Corben lay sprawled on the floor of his study room, fidgeting with his fingers. He had promised Harry earlier that he wouldn't look at any of his books or even think about his exams on the last day of his study leave and he was keeping the promise. But it was clear that he was anxious about the next two weeks during which he would be sitting for countless exams and evaluation to test his eligibility as an Auror.

They had lunch in the quietness of the room with the clock ticking away the time. Corben barely spoke but Harry was okay with it. He cleared away the newspapers and stashed them clumsily in the corner of the room. Then he sat beside Corben and held his hands. "Do you want to talk or do you want to sit in silence?" he asked.

Corben gave a quiet laugh. "I won't mind talking."

"Have you heard about Ron?" Corben shook his head. "He quit too."

"Really?"

"Yeah. He said he didn't care much about being an Auror and he was only there to keep me company."

"That's sweet."

Harry smiled and put his forehead on Corben's shoulder. "I realise we aren't doing much to encourage you -"

"It's fine," Corben interrupted him. "I've been looking forward to becoming an Auror since I was thirteen. I know what I want and I understand that not everyone is cut out for the same thing."

"I decided I wanted to be an Auror when I was fourteen though," he pointed out.

"Yes, and did it have anything to do with you being the Boy Who Lived and saving the world?"

Harry laughed. "Maybe."

"You're good, Harry. You're not discouraging me."

Harry was confident in Corben's abilities and ambition. Still, it didn't stop the nagging feeling inside him. Hearing from Corben that he wasn't going to sway his decision in any way was a relief. "George gave him a job at his shop. I haven't gone to see him yet but he seemed happy when we talked on the phone."

"Oh yes. I think he was quite content when I saw him there the last time."

Harry looked up at him, glaring. "You went to Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes without me?"

"That was a while ago." Corben laughed. "Both of you were Aurors then. I went with Theo and Ron was there working as a volunteer helper."

Harry stopped glaring and returned to his shoulder. "I'm happy for him."

Corben gently pushed him away, making him groan. "I'd be happy for you too, if you would only just post the letter."

Harry buried his face in his hands. "You should be happy for me no matter what."

Corben pulled him into his chest, laughing. "I am. But I can see what you're doing. You want this day to be about me because it's the last day before I go back to being an anxious wreck and you want me to be as comfortable as possible. Well, I'll be comfortable if you walk with me to the Owl Office and give this letter to an owl."

Harry glared into his fingers. Corben had no business knowing him so well, but he couldn't deny that it made the butterflies - which have made a permanent residence of his stomach - flutter joyfully. So he lowered his hands, glaring at Corben as fiercely as he could, and agreed to go with him.

Corben extracted the letter as he put on a sweatshirt and slid it into Harry's pocket. His hands hovered over his waist as Corben looked into his eyes, a frown crinkling the corners of his lips. "Are you nervous?"