• thirteen •

Corben knew something was wrong as soon as he stepped inside the Ministry building.

People stared shamelessly as he walked past, some glaring at him, some whispering to their companions. He had received such behaviour before, but not from so many people at once, thus making him feel extremely anxious. He hunched his shoulders and scurried quickly through the crowd, keeping his head low so as not to make any eye contact. A weight deposited inside his chest, and he had the feeling that something undesirable has taken place.

He took the lift and reached level two, where he came upon even harsher stares and whispers. He drew in a deep breath as the glares shot him with incredible ferocity, heating up his cheeks and making him feel more and more like a criminal, like an outcast, like he wasn't supposed to be there, like he was intruding upon an event or a place where he didn't truly belong. It was amazing how simple stares could do that to a person.

It seemed ages before he finally reached the training hall. As he opened the door and stepped past the threshold, he found it empty save for the two other trainees. They were seated at the benches that stood before a large blackboard, talking among themselves. Upon hearing his footsteps, they turned around and their expressions changed, as though they have been talking about him. Corben pressed his lips nervously, and the weight inside his chest grew.

Thankfully, the two didn't stare at him and he sat down behind them, sinking his head on the tabletop. He wished Audra would get there soon so that he could at least ask her what was going on.

"Corben?" one of the trainees, Alex called, her voice laced with concern. "Are you okay?"

He frowned up at her. "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

She pursed her lips into a thin line, like she has said something she wasn't supposed to. "You don't know?"

He straightened up to look at her properly, his heart beginning to thud inside his chest. A part of him seemed to understand what has happened, but the majority of himself refused to believe it. "Know what?"

Alex was about to answer when the door flew open and Audra walked inside, heels clicking with each step she took. She stood in front of the blackboard and crossed her arms across her chest, glaring at her students. Finally, she focused her gaze on Corben, eyes softening just a little bit.

"Corben," she said, "go home. Take a day off."

His fingers closed to form fists. He stood up. "Why?"

Audra's expression didn't falter. She stared him down, unblinking.

"What happened?" he demanded. "Why is everyone acting so strange?"

She sighed softly. "You will know, Corben. But now isn't a good time for you to stay here. Go home. Please."

But he refused to move. His fists remained clenched at his sides. Alex and Patrick both shuffled awkwardly between them. "Is it my mother?" he managed to let the words leave his throat, voice cracking in the process. "Has she –" he couldn't finish the sentence.

Audra moved and stood before him. "Please go home," she almost pleaded.

"Where is she?" he asked her, voice a hoarse whisper. He cleared his throat. "Is she here already?"

Audra's lips twitched, like she couldn't decided what to say. Finally she sighed. "She was arr– brought here last night."

"Oh," was all he could say.

Corben's head spun. The weight in his chest rose, clogging his throat and he found it difficult to breathe. He stepped back a few steps, stumbling, and caught a table between his fingers. The whole room seemed to be whirling. Audra came forward and gripped his arms. "Corben," she said firmly, her eyes looking stern, as though he had performed an error while dueling. "Go home."