Chapter 25

It's A Shakespeare Thing

Chapter 25

Cassio

It was official, I hated school. I tapped my fingers on the arm of the chair I was sitting in while I waited for principal Mayberry to get off the phone with Mom. I sighed knowing I was in deep shit when I got home. That is, if I even made it home. This was the third fight I had been in since school started two months ago. Principal Mayberry hung up the phone and clasped his hands in front of him on the desk while giving me a stern look over the top of his wire rimmed glasses.

"Mr. Aymes, I hope you are aware of the severity of this situation." Principal Mayberry sighed.

"Why am I getting punished when that asshole was the one who sexually harrassed my girlfriend?" I questioned.

"Because Mr. Aymes, we had to call an ambulance for Mark Gentry. You will be lucky if he doesn't press charges." Principal Mayberry replied in his monotone voice.

"What about Ellianna? She was the one who was assaulted. Gentry had her pinned up against the wall and had his grummy hands up her shirt. The douche was practically raping her!" I exclaimed. I was furious because he was acting like what had happened to Ellie was no big deal when it was.

"We will be talking to Miss Smith about that in due time. Right now I am more concerned with your behavior Mr. Aymes. Principal Mayberry said.

"Mr. Mayberry, Mrs. Aymes is here." Helen, Principal Mayberry's secretary, informed him.

"Thank you, Helen, please show her in." Principal Mayberry stood as Mom entered sending a murderous look my way.

"Mom-" I started to try to explain myself before Mayberry blew it all out of proortion, but Mom stopped me.

"Michael Cassio Aymes, you will sit here and keep your mouth shut while I talk to Principal Mayberry about what to do with my delinquent of a son."Mom snapped and I slumped down further into my chair.

Thirty minutes later Mom and I made our way out of the school and to the car. She was fuming that's how mad she was. I got into the passenger seat and looked out the window. I knew she wouldn't yell at me until we got home. She would use the drive home to calm down before laying into me when we got home. I had seen her do this with Ryan. I never thought I would be in this position. When we got home I went straight to the kitchen and sat down at the counter. Mom set her purse and keys down before turning her attention to me.

"You put a boy in the hospital." Mom stated.

"Mom please,-" I stsrted but didn't get to finish.

"Just shut up! I don't want to hear why you were fighting. I know why. What I want to know is why you, Michael Cassio Aymes, didn't stop after a couple of hits. Sure, he may have deserved a few licks for sexually harrassing Ellie, but for Christ's sake, did you have to put the boy in the hospital?" Mom slumped down on the stool next to me.

"I just got so mad at him for doing that to Ellianna. I just kept picturing him with his filthy hands on my girlfriend and I couldn't stop. Mom, am I going to jail?" I asked as the severity of what I had done hit me.

I don't know, Cassio. I guess we will have to wait and see." Mom got up and started getting ready to cook dinner.

Later that evening Raylin stopped by. Mom wasn't pleased with the fact that she was taking a year off from college to help Asher raise Braxton, but she loved it when Ray stopped by with him. I think she loved the idea of having a grandchild. Raylin handed Braxton to Mom and turned to me.

"I'm not going to yell at you. I'm pretty sure Mom has done that already. I don't blane you for punching the guy for doing what he did to Ellianna, but I am disappointed in the fact that you let it escalate so far that the guy ended up in the hospital." I lowered ny head in shame knowing she was right.

"I am so scared, Ray. What if they press charges and I go to jail? I'm sorry. I am so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt him that bad."I felt tears run down my face. Ray pulled me into a hug.

"I know you don't want to hear this, but you have to face the consequences of your actions, Cassio. Just b through this.ecause we are all disappointed in you doesn't mean we are going to abandon you. We will be right there beside you to support you through this. We still love you Cassio. You made a mistake. The best thing you can do is learn from your mistake and do everything in your power to stop this from happening again. " This was the reason I looked up to my sister so much. She always knew just what to say.

I looked up to see the rest of my family plus Ellianna standing in the kitchen. I didn't know when they got there, but I knew they had heard what Raylin said.

"I am sorry fordisappointing you all. I understand what I done was wrong. I need to apologize to Mark and his family for the pain I have caused them. Will one of you drive me to the hospital?" I asked knowing I needed to apologize sooner rather than later.

"We will all go as a family." Dad answered.

I waited nervously as I watched the red digital numbers of the elevator change. I had no idea how things were going to play out. I just knew I had to apologize for my actions. Ellianna squeezed my hand and gave me a small reassuring smile as the elevator dooors opened. I took in a deep breath of air then released it before letting go of Ellie's hand and making my way over to where the Gentry's were sitting.

"Mr. and Mrs. Gentry." I said to get their attention.

"How dare you show up here after what you did to my son?" Mrs. Gentry snarled.

"You have every right to hate me right now, but I just need to apologize to you and your son for my behavior." I explained.

"Go ahead. I believe you need to say this just as much as we need to hear it." Mr. Gentry allowed me to continue.

"There are no excuses for my actions. I let my anger get the best of me today. Because I lost control of my emotions your son ended up in the hospital. I am so sorry. I accept the consequences of my actions." I finished just as an officer exited Mark Gentry's hospital room.

"Are you Cassio Aymes?" The officer asked me.

"Yes sir, I am." I answered honestly.

"Well then, you just saved me a trip to your house. Turn around and put your hands behind your back." I did as the officer asked as I looked at my family.

"Don't worry little brother, we will get you out." Ryan smiled and the rest of my family nodded in agreement with him.

As the officer led me away I thanked God for giving me a family that loved me unconditionally.