Always Meet Your Heroes

Summary:

ASAMI X READER / FLUFF
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your paths were never supposed to cross, but then again the machine wasn't supposed to go wrong either. Sometimes, it seems fate has a way of intervening.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You had been saving for your ticket to the inventor's convention for months. Ever since you found out your hero, Asami Sato, was going to be speaking you knew you had to go.

You had fallen in love with her work and through it in love with her years ago after listening to her lecture about improving her father's electricity glove on the radio.

Now, after months of running errands for neighbors and fixing stranger's Satomobiles, it was all about to pay off.

The convention hall was filled to capacity with brilliant minds and curious souls alike.

You were awe yet still nervous.

Your heart began to flutter as you walked through the wide isles, each stall housing new and exciting technology.

What if they knew you didn't fit in?

Even in your nicest shirt and most formal jacket, you still felt like you stood out as the poor girl in this crowd of geniuses and investors.

A bright light drew you towards a booth where Varrick and his new wife, Zhu Lee, were showing off a battery powered by spirit vine energy.

You had already heard about the project being continued after the war with Kuvira but now you were getting to see it up close.

You examined the power source with gleaming eyes and a wide smile.

You had learned all about electricity through disassembling and reassembling radios and TVs but this was far more complex than that.

You saw a few parts you recognized mixed in with all kinds of new tech.

You had always learned this way, much to your parent's dismay.

Ever since you were a little kid you had been fascinated by technology.

The only problem was that a lot of the time when you would take something apart to see how it worked, you would forget how to put it back together again.

For a family living paycheck to paycheck, it wasn't easy to be constantly replacing things you broke.

So you switched to repairing other people's broken junk.

Most of the time, you could get it working again even if it had been fixed in a different way than it was intended to be.

When worst came to worst, they would take it to a real repair shop and cough up the few extra coins or sell it to you for parts.

It was with these spare parts that you had made the invention that now sat in the inside pocket of your jacket.

"And now, without further ado!" Varrick announces, arms spread wide. "Zhu lee, do the thing!"

As the short woman reaches for the switch, you notice it.

"Wait!" You cry.