Chapter 2: Helping

A thousand years passed by. Everything started to change, yet it remained the same. The rightful rulers and the past were forgotten as the White Witch started to rule over Narnia and terrorised the people, imposing her reign on them. In those years, evil played with its victim countless number of times. They tested several spells and slowed her aging, and after all those years, she was only twelve years old. 

The bird spent her entire time aware of what was happening to her but only let her pain out through her songs. She was punished if she sang but that never stopped her from irritating the White Witch. "Oh, shut that bloody bird up!"Jadis shouted at her servant, Ginarrbrik, the dwarf.

"Even after all this time, nothing will stop her, Your Imperial Majesty." 

"Fine! Then let's go for a ride through the nearby town. I can't stay here any longer." She stood up from her throne and marched into the room where the bird was imprisoned, shaking the cage with her magic. "I'll deal with you once I come back and do not think that I'll spare you this time. You've beat my patience in ways I never thought that anyone could."

The bird ignored all her worthless threats and minded her own business. She couldn't do much but she could continue making her plans of escape, though none had worked in the past. She just prayed to the one legend talked about and silently cried to herself.

The White Witch did not realise that by going out at that exact time, she was going to meet the one that was her doom and who would make the Prophecy come to take place. She was going to meet Edmund Pevensie.

The fallen cage was not going to stand up for a long time but all of a sudden, by miracle or by fate, a mouse entered the room. The robin found it strange because the castle was made out of ice and no living creature apart from herself lived there, apart from all the ones that were breathing before they found themselves in the path of the so-called Queen. 

The mouse headed towards the birdcage and started biting the ropes that bound the bird to the cage. The bird started to chirp and got ready to fly away from that miserable place. She was grateful to the mouse before she headed into the woods. There was one thing that she could not have known, for she hasn't met the Leader of the Talking Mice, the mouse that freed her was none other than our brave Reepicheep's ancestor.

Seeing the kingdom after a really long time made her want to cry out. Snow filled the land as far as the eyes could see, making her shiver till her bones. The world she once lived in was a hazy dream to her but she knew that it existed. All the fantasies that spread through her mind were her only hope through the years.

A few days passed by and the bird flew around the countryside near the castle. She came across an in-cave where she heard a faun used to live from the other birds. She sat down at a branch end and shook the snow from there.

The front door of the house was broken and lay on the ground, the snow on it melting slowly. Everything inside was trashed and the bird could hear voices. Voices? That was strange and made her shiver in the cold. Why wasn't it snowing?

"Don't worry, Lu. We'll think of something." She heard.

"Why?" Another voice asked. "I mean, he's a criminal."

The robin could sense an argument rising up and so, she did what she never thought she would do. She shouted at the creatures inside which came out as a psst.

"Did that bird just 'psst' us?" A high-pitched voice asked, making the bird realise who they really were.

The four children that were inside Mr. Tumnus' house walked out, curious to know why the bird had called to them. The eldest one among them, who had blonde hair, looked around to make sure that they weren't surrounded. The bird on the other hand tried to not show her excitement. There were four human beings, not including her because she had been a bird for most of her life, which only made it true for the prophecy to take place! That would only mean that the White Witch would be defeated once and for all.

The bird flew towards another branch and looked back at the four humans. She was sure that they were siblings - two brothers and two sisters, Sons and Daughters of Adam and Eve just like she was.

"Does she want us to follow her?" The older girl asked.

Robin chirped in answer and hoped that they understood her. The youngest among them started walking towards the tree that she was sitting on. She cocked her head and moved onto the further tree.

"Are you sure that you want to follow it?" The second youngest spoke up. Robin looked at him and was immediately overwhelmed by a feeling that she had never experienced before.

The bird shook her head and kept flying from branch to branch, guiding them to the one place that she knew they would be safe at. In the past few days, from what she had talked with the other birds, she had heard rumours of the return of the one that she had prayed to her entire life. It only seemed right to help out the siblings into fulfilling their destiny and saving Narnia so that she could see the country that once was with her eyes.

Robin knew that the siblings were confused as to how she could understand them but she couldn't answer them in a way that they would understand her. She guided them for about half an hour before flying off to call upon the Beavers. She had heard enough chitter-chatter from the four and couldn't take in their accusations of her being on the side of the White Witch. She would rather die than follow the Ice Queen into her pretend rule.

Once Mr. Beaver saw her hurried behaviour and started following her to the place where the four were trying to come to a decision, she knew that her work was done. She could've flown away towards the South and seen the great Lion for herself, but something about the second younger lad made her feel suspicious of his actions.

So, she saw Mr. Beaver take the four siblings inside his home and waited outside, vowing to stay with the humans until they safely reached the Stone Table. This was going to be the beginning of an adventure.