Goodbye

Agitated. That was what Robin was feeling.

The days seemed to stretch out as the castle continued to stand in the silence of the absence of the Four rulers. Everything reminded her of him. The library was eager for someone to walk through the door and flip through the pages of the books that it held. The throne room couldn't wait for another ball to be held so that the floors could shine once again. The gardens were awaiting Lucy's lovely hands to take care of the exotic flowers. The telescope in the north tower that only Peter used stood by as it waited for him to come back and look at the night sky. Overall, the castle waited in silence.

Robin tried to hold back her boredom when she decided to take a walk in the grounds of the castle. She thought of leaving for the Shuddering Woods because she knew that Oreius could give her some work to keep her mind occupied. But Edmund had warned her from leaving the castle. "It wouldn't be safe for you to be all alone out there now that we are searching for Carmis."

"But there is no reason for anyone to harm me."

"You live with me. You will always be in harm's way."

That was the exact reason that she hadn't approached the royalty whenever Oreius suggested it. She knew that she would be living a restricted life where she would have to follow rules and be someone that she was sure that she wasn't. She was a free thinker and couldn't be bound by the ideologies that came with someone being a part of nobility.

She had told Edmund that one day and he could relate to what she meant. "Sometimes I think about how different our lives are ever since the coronation."

"You are doing a great job so far." She assured him.

Now, all those words were echoing in her ears. She could feel his presence in the castle even though the only living beings in the castle were the guards, who were definitely given orders to keep an eye on her to make sure that she wouldn't leave the castle.

There was always someone to tail her to monitor her actions. She considered telling them to back off but she would only be taking out her annoyance at how easily she got bored at them. It wasn't their fault that her life was however she was. She thought about leaving the castle after metamorphosis but she couldn't betray the trust that the Pevensies had left with her to stay at the castle till they returned.

She groaned when she couldn't concentrate on reading. She slammed the book shut and paced the library instead. She looked through the titles of every book that stood out to her and made up a story for them in her mind.

She realised that there was a sudden chill that filled the castle which also filled the entire land. There was a sudden eeriness as a heavy cloud blocked the sunlight. Was it going to rain? She hoped that it did.

Robin started making her way towards her room. The cold was making her skin itch and she needed a shawl or a blanket to wrap around herself. She didn't know if it was only her but the chill was definitely leaving a mark. She opened the door to her room and walked towards the wardrobe in search of her coat when the door closed behind her. She had left it wide open and it couldn't have been because of a wind for she felt the presence of someone else in the room with her.

"Hello, Sanya."

The voice was unmistakable. Her time had come. What she had been hoping to happen every moment of her life in the past few years happened right when she was least expecting it. "Olivis."

"Are you ready to leave all this behind?"

The leaves were rustling in a haphazard manner. The weather seemed to deteriorate quickly. Edmund was the first one through the door into Robin's room when she didn't open it after several knocks. "Robin?" He called out for her, his eyes searching for the dark hair in the empty room. "Robin!"

The guards were being questioned for her location and the other Pevensies were searching other rooms that she could be in. But Edmund had a feeling that he couldn't shake ever since he read Carmis' letter for him. "Say goodbye to her, Just King."

He knew she was gone. "No." He whispered. His eyes caught a sheet of parchment at the study table at the end of the room. His feet took him towards it but he wanted to run the other way. He was expecting a letter, but one look at her handwriting had him fall to his knees.

Goodbye.

One word. That's all it took to destroy his heart and shatter it into pieces. Carmis had planned it well. She must have given out her location on purpose, knowing that he would come for her to save Robin. How could he have been so stupid? Why did he let love blind him? He was angry and scared and dejected. Carmis had made her write her final words to him.

"Ed?" Lucy called out as she entered the room.

"She's gone." The letter fell out of his hand.

"Can't be." She whispered.

"I was a fool."

"Ed-"

"This is all my fault. I shouldn't have left her side. I shouldn't have left her alone. I-"

"Ed, stop."

"Why?" His voice was raised. "This is my fault! I never should have let her in, Lu! I knew something was going to happen. I knew that...." His feelings towards marriage and love would always remain unchanged. How could he have thought any different?

"We will find her."

"No, you won't." He said. "After everything that she has told me about her past, trust me. You won't find her."

But that didn't stop him from searching for her an entire year. He was relentless and pessimistic at the same time. He would have given anything to see her once more. But the years passed by and he decided to not let his mindlessness get to him. He had to let her go. But how could he? The magic of a first love can never be broken.