Chapter 19: Soft Queen

Stars are more honest than man - that was the words of the Centaurs.

Dhruvika had her bags packed and ready to be taken to Castle Cair Paravel in the carriage that was sent for her. She would have preferred to fly but of course, the Pevensies thought about her comfort. The carriage was gigantic, making Dhruvika feel as though she really was a Princess.

While she was on her way, Edmund suddenly found dust everywhere. "Please keep it as perfect as possible."

Lucy stopped walking down the staircase exactly as he said those words. "Wait what?"

He looked up to see her. "Morning, Lu." He wished as he crossed off something from the checklist that he held in his hands.

"Susan?" She called out.

Edmund frowned. "What?"

"Have you become Susan all of a sudden?" She reached the bottom of the stairs and immediately checked his temperature.

"I'm fine!" He exclaimed, pulling back.

"You don't have a fever. Since when did you want your surroundings cleaned up?"

Edmund wasn't the type to care about anything messy. He liked things the way they were. It was usually Susan who wanted everything to be in perfect condition and order. "No, Lu." He laughed. "I just want things to be....right."

"Someone really likes someone." She punched his arm playfully.

"If you mean food, then yes. I do love food, thank you. I would appreciate some right now."

Lucy's eyebrows furrowed but she didn't argue. From everything that she had seen all her life, Edmund always kept a distance with people. He couldn't open up the way everyone could. He wasn't the type to. But somehow, he was different when it came to Dhruvika because he was more....himself.

The three of the Pevensies talked with each other about him when he wasn't around as they discussed their concerns. All they could conclude was that they wanted him to be happy. They had seen that he was cheerful and more himself in the past few months. They missed that part of him. He always used sarcasm to hide his exact feelings but that had become a part of him eventually, and even though they didn't know anything about Dhruvika, they were ready to let her into their lives if it meant their brother's happiness.

When Dhruvika's arrival was announced, the Pevensies gathered together at the front lawn to greet her. Edmund was awfully jumpy, which made Susan and Peter share a look with a smile. Lucy, on the other hand, was twiddling her thumbs for some reason and her shoulders were dropped. Susan placed a hand on her shoulder and gave her a little hug. "Come on, Lu."

The royal announcers trumpeted as the carriage stopped outside. Dhruvika found it surreal being at the castle through the front doors. She preferred flying her way in because it was so much easier, but she knew that the people of Narnia would have to know about the new guest at the castle. The castle seemed bigger than usual as she realised that she could hear her heartbeat in her ear.

"Stay away, Birdy." She scolded her other self.

"Welcome to Cair Paravel," Peter said.

"We are very happy to have you here," Susan said.

And after all the awkward greetings took place, Edmund pulled her aside. "Welcome to the castle, I guess."

"Officially." 

"Officially." He sighed. "I need to ask you for a favour."

"Sure. What is it?"

"Lucy....was actually worried about something. Now, I don't know how you might take this but," He inhaled deeply. "She is somehow worried that you may not like her."

Dhruvika broke out laughing but when she saw the seriousness on his face, she composed herself. "She thinks that I won't like her? Why?"

"Beats me."

"Can I talk to her about it?"

"That's exactly what I wanted to request."

"I'm on it, Tree."

"Thank you, Birdy." Before they could talk further, one of the guards standing in that corridor approached Edmund and informed him that his presence was required in the living room. "I'll talk to you tonight?"

"Definitely." 

Dhruvika began roaming the castle when she realised that everyone was busy. It felt strange to walk around without having to be cautious and worried about getting caught. Whenever a guard appeared, instincts took over her to hide but she always shook her head. She didn't have to hide anymore.

Somehow, she heard from one of the guards that the Valiant Queen was in the library and she started walking to her favourite room in the entire castle. "Queen Lucy?" She called out after knocking.

"Come in!" She heard the youngest Pevensie's voice, in a rather shrill manner.

Dhruvika peeked inside, halfway in and halfway out. "Hey." She waved at the girl only a few years younger than her sitting at the table by the sunlight. "Can we talk?"

"Oh. Of course." Lucy closed her book with the bookmark she held in her hand, which was upside-down for some reason, as if she were hiding what she was really up to.

Dhruvika took the seat next to her and took a deep breath before she started conversing. "Edmund told me something about-"

"Oh no!" Lucy buried her face in her hands as she was filled with embarrassment.

"Did I do something to let you know that I didn't like you? Because if I had-"

"No no not at all! This isn't your fault at all."

"Thank goodness." She breathed out in relief. "But there is a problem, isn't it?" She asked after sensing the tension on Lucy's face. "What is it?"

Lucy bit her lower lip but decided to answer that question. It did concern Dhruvika after all. "I fear that things are going to change from now." She started. "My family....we've been through so much together. It is a little strange that someone else is going to be staying with us. We are glad to have you, that's not the point! But...." For the first time in her life, she did not know how to express her concern. She became emotional when things came to her family.

"You don't want anyone to change what you have with your family." 

"Yes."

"Lucy." She took her hand in hers. "I hope it is okay if I call you by your name. Edmund mentioned that you don't like anyone addressing you."

"That was considerate of him but he thinks I'm too soft." 

"Can I call you the 'Soft Queen' then?" 

"I like how that sounds. Thank you. But I am. Scared." 

"I promise you that I have no intention of getting in between the four of you. I am grateful that you would give me a place to stay and I hope....that we can be friends."

"Of course we can be friends." Lucy pulled the newcomer into a hug. "Thank you for understanding."

"Of course, Soft Queen."