Chapter 17: Place In the World

"You could stay the night." Edmund suggested as he walked Dhruvika out of the castle. He wanted to see her leave for once and not be kept in the dark. Besides, he liked being with her. Her presence had a positive effect on his attitude and even though that feeling was entirely new, he enjoyed it.

"I can't. I have to get my belongings together and inform Oreius about the....change of circumstances. He needs to hear it from me. After all, he was the one who wanted me to meet all of you in the first place."

They had walked silently beside each other the entire way, both not being able to believe that the Pevensies were offering her a place to stay. They trusted Oreius to know that Dhruvika wasn't lying about her identity. They had heard rumours about the one that called herself "Crimson Conjurer", but they never had an eye witness. Until now.

"Are you happy?"

"I am, thank you." She smiled genuinely. "And thank you for....everything else."

"You're welcome. I hope you like staying with us. We do fight a lot. Well, on occasions," He chuckled. "But I'm sure that you'll find our quarrels enjoyable."

"I can be pretty argumentative. So don't mind if I join your debates."

"Oh, we could always use another voice!" Dhruvika smiled. "Can I watch you leave now?"

She couldn't believe her ears. He wanted to see her undergo metamorphosis. He wasn't disgusted by her bird self and though it was hard to believe, she could see his genuineness in his eyes. She wrapped her hands around his neck and pulled him into a hug. 

"Uff, you really are tall," she said when she found it hard to rest her head on his shoulder and pulled herself back.

Edmund laughed. "It's not my fault."

"No. It isn't."

"I'll see you tomorrow, Birdy?" He asked, just as he did every night.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Tree." She answered her usual reply. "But promise me something." She said. "Don't try to find Carmis. You may feel the necessity to find her by going alone and slaying her down. She is the one who finds people, but since she is keeping out of sight, I think we should leave her alone."

"But what if she attacks the castle?"

"You won't be able to take her on. Jadis had a magical staff with her because her magic was taken away from her. But Carmis has hers."

"What do you mean?"

She shook her head. "I don't know the entire story but that's not the point. Don't try to find her. Promise me."

"Okay." He nodded. "I promise."

Dhruvika turned around and for the first time in the past two to three months, she wasn't scared of her other self. She embraced it with a smile and turned. She flew towards the night sky but looked around to see Edmund admiring her. She felt herself flush but she sang in a melodious tone and flew towards the forest cover.

Edmund found himself standing in the same space for a while. His smile faded and his eyes opened wide when he realised something. "She was the songbird!" He exclaimed happily.

Robin couldn't hear him but she did hear him laugh. She flew with a different feeling that lingered in her wings. Was she really going to be living in a castle? Had the Pevensies really given her a place in the world? And what about Edmund? Was he really who Dhruvika thought him to be? Could he be the one for her?

She pushed all these questions away from her mind once she reached the Shuddering Wood. She transformed into herself and walked towards Oreius' tent. She got to point right away. "I've been lying to you. Well, not lying exactly. I just haven't told you the truth. The entire truth, that is. I never lie to you."

Oreius closed the book that he was reading and removed the glasses that he was wearing. He didn't need them normally but his vision sort of blurred during nighttime where he was forced to read by a lamp. "What is it?" He had expected that particular conversation from her a few weeks back when she stopped getting angry even when the situation should have made her bitter.

"I...." She didn't know how to start. "I....have....been....meeting with....Edmund Pevensie. For the past few months."

He was surprised, yes. But he did not show it on his face. "I had a feeling that you must have come across one of them sometime. I am glad that it was the Just King."

"What?" She was taken aback. She was expecting a lecture about how she has been irresponsible and how she has been lying to everyone about her whereabouts.

Oreius sighed. "I figured that you must have found someone that you wanted to spend your time with. I just didn't know that it was one of the Pevensies. Now, I'm not complaining. But I hope that you know that you have gone back on your own words."

"Hey!" 

He started laughing. "So have you found your 'place in the world'?" 

"I think so." She nodded.

"And I am guessing that the High King wants you to stay at the castle."

"How did you-" She shook her head. "Of course you know what he would have suggested."

"I am the Commander-In-Chief after all. What was your answer?"

She knew that he couldn't predict her decisions, and she had taken enough advantage of it the past decade. "I agreed. You were right. I should have met them a long time ago."

"It is better this way."

She was taken aback once again. "How do you mean?"

"Look outside."

Edmund was jumpy, and he had never been jumpy before in his entire life. He had been a restless kid, always wanting to do something to keep himself occupied. His interest in books came first that way. When he returned to the dining hall, he found his family talking to each other urgently.

"You don't have to stop on my account," he said and then noticed that the head chair was missing. He looked straight ahead and saw Peter gazing at the stars. "Pete?" He called out.

The High King had his hands folded, which wasn't a good sign because that meant that he was analysing something very seriously. "Come on." He beckoned for Ed to join him looking outside.

Edmund walked towards his brother and was completely aware of Susan's confusion and Lucy's happiness. He stood beside his brother and looked at what he was seeing - the stars. He knew that Peter had a fascination for astronomy ever since he could remember. It felt good to share the same space for something that he loved. "Thank you. For hearing Dhruvika out."

"You seem to like her." Peter pointed out.

"I do." Edmund couldn't help but smile and admit it out loud for once.

"Yes!" Lucy squealed but closed her mouth in earnest as soon as she did so. She was hoping not to reveal her feelings about them but she couldn't help herself.

Edmund was grateful for that reaction. He had a feeling that Dhruvika would fit in with their lives right away and he couldn't wait for her to officially be a part of his life. "I don't think I need to tell you about keeping her company," Peter stated. "Now that you are on pet-name basis."

Edmund's ears turned pink. "Not at all."

Edmund couldn't believe that he was blushing. Neither could Peter for that matter but he loved seeing his brother that way because of all the 'I don't need love' talk that he had been telling Susan over dinner every night constantly. He knew that something was wrong when she stopped talking about the future and Edmund stopped being sarcastic in unnecessary situations.

"We will make her feel welcomed. Don't worry." Peter promised as he clamped a hand on his brother's shoulder.

But Edmund pulled him into a hug. "Thank you."