Chapter 3: Protection

The Robin's suspicions proved to be absolutely accurate when the doors of the Beaver's Dam opened up and a tousled head walked out, heading towards the cold and dark forest, ignoring the falling snow. She had two opportunities in front of her. She could either stay with the others and travel with them to meet Aslan or she could follow the strayer and maybe try to convince him to turn back.

There was no time to decide as the boy was disappearing into the shadows and so, she decided to go with the latter choice. She shook the snow that had settled on her and flew quickly towards the boy. She kept shouting at him, which only came out as chirpings to her disbelief.

The boy ignored the bird and turned up his collar, hugging himself to keep warm. He shuffled across the top of the dam and reached the far side of the river despite Robin's efforts. It started growing darker every minute and snowflakes started to swirl around them.

Edmund Pevensie had only one thought in his mind - Turkish Delight. He was starving despite what he had tried to eat at the Beavers' house. He only wanted to have Turkish Delights because he had fallen under the dark magic of the White Witch without knowing that he had done so.

The bird followed him and made sure that there were no wild animals around. She needed him alive for the prophecy to come to place, that is, if he was the one who the prophecy was talking about. He kept slipping down and skidding on frozen puddles. He overlooked fallen trees and hit himself against rocks, making her laugh in a really long time.

The clouds moved away and made way for the moon to shine its light after being hidden since morning. There was a full moon that night, which made her realise that the night sky was very beautiful indeed. She could stare at it till the end of time and not get bored at all but thinking so, she almost lost his trail.

After almost an hour passed by, he stopped and she had a small glimmer of hope that he would turn back. She chirped for him to do the same but heard him mutter, "When I'm King, I'll lay some decent roads first." There was a certain darkness in his voice and she knew very well what had caused it having seen dark magic all her life. She considered pecking on his head but by the time she could do it, Edmund found himself in front of the castle of the White Witch.

Robin's eyes widened and she knew that she should have taken an action a long time ago. She should have called out to the Beavers through the windows but there was a very slight chance that they would have heard her. There was no blaming herself because the boy was already enchanted. Nobody could have stopped him or forced him into the house.

The boy crossed the ice-covered river and walked up to the front door. There was a sudden silence that pricked the bird's feathers. He walked through the front doors and was amazed by the number of statues in the main hallway. Robin flew cautiously to not be seen by anyone because if she was....she didn't want to think about her fate.

Edmund tripped over the Chief of Police, Maugrim, thinking that he was nothing but a log that was covered with snow. The wolf tried to bite his head off when he exclaimed that he was a Son of Adam. The wolf marched his way to the hallways of his Imperial Majesty's chambers where he informed the dwarf about the arrival of the newcomer. A sly smile spread over his face as he walked towards the throne room.

Edmund, in that time, made himself at him and took a seat at the throne on the iced-podium. He looked around and grinned before Jadis entered the room, making him terrified of her all of a sudden. "Then how dare you come alone?" She shouted, her voice echoing throughout the castle and ringing in Robin's ears.

"No, Your Majesty." She heard the boy quiver. "Before I left the Beavers' house, I heard them talking about someone named Aslan."

"Aslan?" The Witch asked in a cold voice disbelief washing over her.

Now, I don't know if birds can smack their foreheads but that's exactly what Robin did. She closed her eyes with her wings and shook her head in disappointment.

The White Witch asked the dwarf, Ginnarbrik to take Edmund to the dungeons. She also informed her Police to bring the other children to her castle. "Just barely alive will do." She grinned before taking a seat on her throne.

Once again, Robin was faced with two opportunities. Oh, how she wished that she could just sleep her worries off. She needed to head back to the house of the Beavers and warn them about the White Witch or she could continue to look after the stowaway.

And so, she prepared herself for another hour of flying back to the Dam but when she started to head towards the forest, she saw five silhouettes in the distance and there was no mistake about who they were. She was certain that they knew about their brother's fate and hence, she decided that it was better to choose the former side in that situation. She couldn't leave the young boy in the hands of the White Witch, especially not after knowing what the fake Queen was capable of.

Ignoring the cold like the boy had before, she flew towards the spare window that would allow her to see into the dungeons. She sat on the sill and looked inside. Water was dripping on her from the fallen snow but she deflected it every time it fell.

The boy was pushed inside the cold room and was bound to the chains on the floor. She considered singing to help him calm down but shook her head. She couldn't let Jadis know that she was back. And that she was back for revenge.