Congratulations

I blushed when she giggled and took a step back, making me release the breath I didn't know I was holding.

She moved back to her previous spot and looked at the view infront of us while I kept my gaze on her, my anxiety returning by the second I spend looking at her.

"You should go inside. It's not okay for you to stay here with that kind of dress." She spoke after a while.

I suddenly felt ashamed for gawking and turned my body to look at the sea of lights again. I didn't speak and held the blazer close to my body, my fingers felt sore from the effort.

"I could say the same to you." I muttered when I realized that our dresses weren't that different from each other.

"Nah. I'm used to the cold, Ms. Kim."

"Ms. Kim? What happened to calling me Jennie?" I suddenly turned to see her shrug in response.

"Dunno. It's more appropriate, isn't it?"

"Appropriate? Why?"

She clasped her hands infront of her and there was a small smile on her face when she replied. "Just because."

I was about to open my mouth when we heard a loud explosion inside the building and cheers erupted after. I quizzically looked inside and Lisa only shook her head.

"What was that?"

"Someone must've found their 00's."

"Here?"

"It could happen anywhere, you know. Inside the school, church, infront of the tteokbokki stand, in a party, infront of a building or in the street."

"I see. You're a believer, aren't you?" I kept my face emotionless but my heart was thrumming inside my chest.

Please let your answer be a no. Please.

She was grinning when she glanced at me. "There's no reason not to, right?"

I felt my heart plummet. But there's still hope. "I see." I took another sip of the forgotten drink in my hand. "Say, let's see... Do you think it'll work even when the one you found isn't your 00's?"

I saw her tilt her head in confusion but I kept my gaze straight ahead. "I don't understand what you're trying to imply. Can you elaborate?"

"I mean... like," I breathed deep and bite my lips. "Like, what if you met a person you click with... you imagine a life with but the clock- mechanism whatever, hasn't reached it's end yet?"

"Ah. I see. You're meaning to ask if it's possible to fall inlove with someone that isn't the one indicated by the clock?"

I nodded and I wait for her reply. She didn't speak for a while, letting us be surrounded by the small buzz of music inside and the cold wind brush past us every now and then. I kept my gaze infront just because I was afraid of what I'll see in her face.

"Ms. Kim, do you know what's this party for?"

"No."

She laughed at my reply. "But you're invited, aren't you? You received a letter?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. I'm not the one who... err... handle invitations and such."

"Oh right. I forgot I was talking to Ms. Something-big-at-that-very-pretty-building."

I ignored her with a blush on my cheeks. "I didn't... I wasn't supposed to attend this..."

"I see. It's okay but this party is for the 200th year since the device in your wrist was invented."