#33 Sensei

The rest of the week went by without any serious incident. Of course Naruto and Hinata had to check out the occasional trading convoy, but the pair did that while keeping in the shadows, while using the Byakugan to look for anything suspicious. 

On their last day the pair broke camp and made their way to the meeting point, waiting for the team that had taken the next shift. Naruto sat down on the branch the two were standing on, leaning his back against the trunk of the tree. Opening his arms he smiled as Hinata sat down between his legs, leaning back, her head resting just under his chin. Closing his eyes the pair waited as they knew that their clones were still covering the border. 

“Took them long enough.” Hinata mumbled as she slowly sat up, having spotted the squad moving up to their location. Naruto only nodded, opening his eyes as he patted the dirt of the tree from his clothes. Jumping down into the street the pair startled the team in front of them. After a few moments the four lowered their weapons and the leader smiled at the duo. 

“I guess you are here to take our place.” Naruto stated, earning a nod from the man in front of him. 

“Alright, have fun.” Hinata said as she took Naruto’s hand and they walked off, slowly making their way to Iwagakure.

“Welcome back Naruto, Hinata.” Onoki greeted them, as they entered his office. Smiling at the two, he motioned for them to take a seat in front of his desk.

“So, I take it, nothing more happened, apart from the incident six days ago?”

“You are right, nothing else happened, we inspected the traders that came, but nothing suspicious could be found.” Hinata answered. 

“Okay. So have you had enough time to think about my other proposal?” The Tsuchikage asked again, referring to his offer for the pair to join the Anbu.

“Yes, we have and we politely decline.” Naruto answered after a short look at his girlfriend. 

“May I ask the reason?” Their kage asked, while taking out a scroll from his desk.

“Well, we decided to settle down to escape the life of constant danger and secret missions. We just want to live a relatively peaceful life.” Hinata stated, earning a nod from the man in front of them. 

“Alright. If you are sure about that, then I have your next assignment as Jonin.” He replied, earning a nod from the pair. 

“Recently one of our Jonin died on a mission. He had a genin team in his care. I want you two to train them for the upcoming exams. We will have our genin exams in two months. I expect the three to be ready for chunin by then.” Onoki said, handing Naruto the scroll he had taken out of his desk.

“You will meet them at sunrise here. This scroll contains their data and their academy scores as well as the reports from their former sensei. Dismissed.” Onoki continued, making Hinata and Naruto nod. 

As they walked out of the office, they looked at each other with a smile. 

“What do you think, ready to become a sensei?” Hinata asked, a smile on her face.

“As ready as we’ll ever be.” The blonde next to her replied, returning the smile as they made their way to their apartment. 

“So, let’s see what our team looks like.” Hinata said, as they opened the scroll, the Tsuchikage had given them. 

Academy Report: 

Ryujin Mako: 

History : B 

Taijutsu : A

Ninjutsu : B

Genjutsu : C

Weaponhandling : A 

Infiltration : C

Teacher’s commentary:

Very skilled with her Kunai and Senbon, Genjutsu is not her strong suit. 

Her Taijutsu is among the best in the class, only outclassed by Lia. Overall good shinobi and eager to learn. 

Lia Kotua:

History : D

Taijutsu : A

Ninjutsu : B

Genjutsu : A

Weaponhandling : B

Infiltration : A

Teacher’s commentary:

Very skilled in molding her chakra, although she has very limited chakra capacities, she can easily make up for them by not having to waste too much on jutsu because of her good control. 

Although she is very skilled she shows no interest in the other academic topics, sleeping through most of the lessons. 

Yeji Mako:

History : A

Taijutsu : B

Ninjutsu : C

Genjutsu : A 

Weaponhandling : C

Inilftration : A

Teacher’s commentary:

Very skilled in learning and tactical thinking. It is suspected that she has reached the high grades in her written tests through cheating, although she was never caught. She can easily evade detection by her peers and even by the teachers if given enough time to form a plan. 

Struggles with combat and has reservations about hurting others. 

Naruto and Hinata looked over the mission reports that their sensei had submitted, which stated that the three slowly began to work together and to help each other out to get over their weaknesses. Although there was not much information about their current skill set, since the reports were not detailed at all. The last report was written by Yeji who had apparently taken on the role of the leader of the trio. 

They had been sent on their first B-rank mission, but were ambushed by a group of rogue shinobi. The sensei had gotten injured in the initial attack and realized that he wouldn't make it back, so he sacrificed himself to save his team. 

A tear escaped Hinata’s eye as she read the account from the team. It must have been hard for them to leave their sensei behind. 

Closing the scroll the pair laid back on their bed and looked at the ceiling, both deep in thought about what to do when they met their team the next day.