#20 Forest of Death

Rushing through the trees Hinata scanned their surroundings for any potential teams. Naruto meanwhile was casually keeping up with his girlfriend and talking to her. The two laughed from time to time, until suddenly Hinata stopped.

"We have company, three to our left, two in front." She whispered as Naruto quickly unsealed a set of kunai. Throwing them into the trees Naruto heard someone jump and watched as two Anbu came out of the woods, weapons drawn. "What do you want with us?" Naruto asked readying another set of kunai.

"We were sent here to investigate the large spike in chakra from earlier." The Anbu with the crow mask said.

"Don't worry about it, we will report that it was you two." The other Anbu said, before both of them vanished again.

"Weird." Hinata commented as she scanned their surroundings again to find the other squad she had seen. Pinpointing their location Naruto and Hinata took off, Hinata taking out her two swords and Naruto another set of kunai.

When the two teams made contact it was over in just a second. Hinata appeared behind the only girl on the team, swords ready to cut her head off and Naruto threw two kunai between their legs, before positioning himself between his teammate and the two remaining genin.

"Give us your scroll or your teammate dies." Naruto demanded.

The genin looked at each other, nodding. The taller one searched his pockets and produced a small scroll, throwing it to Naruto. Immediately Naruto threw it back to the genin with a frown on his face.

"Last chance give me your scroll." Naruto warned as Hinata increased the pressure on her blades drawing a cry and some blood from the girl in her arms.

The genin quickly threw the scroll away before it exploded in the air. Sighing, the smaller genin took out another scroll, handing it over to the blonde in front of them. Nodding, Naruto put the scroll in his pockets, making Hinata release her captive, who jumped directly to her teammates.

"You can still get two scrolls from other teams. We will wait at the tower for you." Naruto said, turning around and walking into the woods with Hinata by his side.

Turning around the Hyuuga caught the kunai that had been flying towards them, looking at the trio with indifferent eyes.

"I guess we won't." She commented as she once again took out her blades and Naruto took out yet another set of kunai. The three shinobi looked at them with determination.

"We will get our scroll back." The girl said, tightening her grip on the katana she was wielding.

"No you won't." Naruto said as a flash cut through the small clearing and the two shinobi behind her dropped dead. Looking at her comrades the girl cried out and charged at Hinata, sword raised. It took only two swings with her swords for Hinata to disarm the kunoichi and to cut the muscles in her legs. Falling to the ground the girl cried out again, this time in pain, as she tried to hold back tears. Naruto and Hinata knew that the girl would die from blood loss in a few minutes so they left the clearing, heading straight for the tower in the center of the forest.

The pair didn't look back or else they would have seen how the girl took off her headband from Sunagakure and laid it in front of her, before taking her katana and placing it next to it. In silent prayer she bowed down and remained in this position until her heart stopped beating.

Jumping along the branches Hinata and Naruto didn't talk, each of them thinking about the lives they had just taken. They weren't new to this feelling, but it never got easier. Especially when the enemies are so young. It was kind of a ritual for the pair that they would not talk with each other after they had to kill until they had slept. As they jumped, Hinata suddenly stopped again, signing to her boyfriend that there was a team ahead. Naruto answered in their own sign language, asking if they should avoid it.

Nodding, Hinata agreed with that idea since they already had both scrolls so they made a left and continued jumping through the forest, making a big curve around the team before turning back to the tower.

Walking through the entrance of the tower, Naruto and Hinata figured out the riddle and threw their scrolls in the room, to be greeted by Hiashi.

"Congratulations to you two, you have passed the second stage." He said smiling. Naruto smiled as Hinata said her thanks, asking where the resting rooms were, since the sun had set a while ago and everyone just wanted to sleep. Showing the way to the pair, Hiashi asked how they had gone through the forest in just a day, causing Hinata to tell him what had happened.

The next four days were spent mostly relaxing on top of the tower watching the surroundings, as the team from Iwagakure waited for the second test to end. While they waited they saw Gaara and his team reach the tower. A little while later Neji and his team appeared, although they apparently had it a lot worse than the team from Suna. The girl on the team was badly beaten while Neji had to carry his third teammate who was apparently unconscious. Kakashi's team was one of the last to arrive, entering the tower early on the last day. They looked like they had gone through hell. Sakura, apparently having had to cut her hair, was limping and had a lot of blood on her clothes. Sasuke was unconscious as he was carried by Kiba's dog who looked like the only one to be mostly alright. Kiba himself was walking on makeshift crutches made from tree branches, as he had obviously broken his right leg. Both males of the team had just as much blood on their clothes as Sakura. Hinata joked that it looked like they were only running off the adrenaline that was pumping through their veins. It seemed to be true, since the trio had to be carried into their quarters by Kakashi.